Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Debate Forum

After School Activities

How many activities should a child join after school or during the summers?
1-3 per week
3-5 per week
100%  100%  [ 3 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3
User Profile
Many kids are thrown into activities by parents who try their best to get them involved. But at what price? And how much is too much? Are we teaching our kids to become and do rather than "just be'? How much is too much?
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It's nice to keep your kids busy, but they get overwhelmed and tired too. If you have to drag your kids to an activity, who is getting the satisfaction there?

A child's work is school and they call it summer vacation for a reason.

Kids should have a say in what they do, so they are vested in it and feel as though they have a choice.
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I haven't gotten my child involved in any clubs or activities yet. I think one thing at a time is best. If they (for example) have been taking piano lessons for a while and they are accustomed to it and then you want to add a physical activity, I think that'ss OK too, but I don't want to "overprogram" My kids. I think they are best left to be creative and have some unstructured play time.
|

replied June 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
well said, cindy!

when finn is older i would really like him to have at least 2 regular activities (one sport and one art or music). he will definitely have a say though and if doesn't enjoy something i'm not going to force him to continue it.
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
I voted 1-3 times per week bercause i think every child should be involved in at least one thing to keep them healthy and socially active, but if the child is willing to do more than good for them, i would support it 100%. However, school work comes first they should be acheiving and maintaining passing grades in all school subjects to be able to continue the extracurricular activities because they are privlidges and not mandatory, but school is mandatory and to get somewhere higher in life you need a good education.
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2017
I also voted 1-3 times per week. The child should become more sociable and active, but study at school is also his/her activity and the child needs to rest. I think parents should find golden mean between activities and rest for a child, because childhood is also a period of happiness and plays. I don't want to deprive my son of this wonderful time.
|
Tags: parenting
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....