Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Tension headaches and chest inflammation

User Profile
Last year I startes having back and neck pain, so I went to the doctor and they said it was just a strained back and it was making my neck hurt. Then I started getting headaches and my chest was getting inflamed, and red. They said it was just tension headaches and didn't know why my chest was inflammed, they put me on an inflammatory medicine. Then the headsache started getting worse and noticed a lump in my neck (about 1 cm) above my collar bone on the left side. They said I was getting mygraines. Put me on a headache medicine, didnt work stopped using it. I figured out that it was me clenching my teeth, but I still get them sometimes for no reason. I went to the doctor again and told them about the lump and they told me just to watch it. Now I have another one and they hurt, the pain goes down into my arm and it feels kind of weak. My armpits also hurt. And I still have the upper back pain. I am really worried I need to be healthy, and be there for my children.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2007
Cancers Answer A3007
A headache can be due to many reasons. Migraine and tension headaches are different types of headache. The etiology of the migraine is unknown; in other words, doctors still do not know the causes of a migraine. The etiology of a tension headache can be caused by various reasons. Muscle pain in the neck or a tooth disorder can cause tension headaches, for example.

It is not clear what you mean by “chest inflammation”. Which part of the chest is inflamed ? skin, muscles, bones or lungs? It seems that you meant to describe a skin inflammation because you mentioned redness. Skin inflammation can be due to many reasons but most of these types of reactions are caused by allergies.Chest inflammation is not usually connected with a headache. Further, you'll need to describe the 2 lumps on your neck better in order to estimate possible reasons for them. You'll need several diagnostic procedures (blood analyses, X-ray image of the spine, detailed examination of those lumps etc.) to reveal what is really happening with you. You can consult an internist for follow up.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.