Hi there,

I think I may have OCD, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't have obsessive thoughts, yet I quite often touch the corner of things. Always the right corner, always my right hand, always my middle finger. It's under the nail that I tend to touch things with. I have been doing it for as long as I remember. I'm 14 now.

I also make funny noises sometimes, and weird facial expressions. These 'habits', tend to come and go, though. Like phases. I don't stick to them for more than 6 or so months. I have always had the desire to touch corners, though. These things don't really stand out in social situations.

It's quite difficult not to do these things. I wonder if they're just common habits that come with my youth, or something more...

I don't want to tell anyone as of yet, so I was just wondering what anyone here thought.

Thanks in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2007
Community Volunteer
I do little things too, but the thing to keep in mind when considering ocd is that you can't possibly have it unless it is interfering with your life. If you feel like you need to touch corners but it doesn't stop you from going to work, then it doesn't matter. However, if you find yourself touching every corner in existence, which in turn causes you to be 8 hours late for something you need to go to, then you have a problem. It's only ocd if it effects your life, though doctors now like to throw medication out there for anyone with even little issues like you describe, which doesn't even sound like anything to worry about. I always jingle the keys in my pocket when I leave the house and don't feel right unless I do, but I only do it once and that's it, someone with ocd would do it multiple times.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
Wow, thanks! You don't know how much better this has made me feel. It's not interfering with my life at all, but I just feel like it's awkward to do it.

Thank-you VERY much for your assistance! I was quite worried.
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2007
Experienced User
Ryan-
Sounds a little OCD-ish. I wouldn't worry unless the thought of touching things takes over. I mean, if you are sittling there and talking to someone and you think-"I must touch that corner" and you stop everything to do it. Then I'd say it's time for help. Otherwise- I wouldn't worry too much. I think everyone has a touch of OCD.
|
Tags: ocd, touch
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....