Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Anxious-depressive disorder + small yellow bruises on skin

User Profile
I have for about 5 years now been ill on and off. Firstly i started getting neck pain i felt all tense, like my head was going to explode with a fear of dying, with hot flushes and when drifting into sleep jumping awake and not being able 2 swallow ( this problem has been going and coming) since 2002. After that in about 2005 i have slowly started to loose my feeling 2 have sex. And now it has reached the point where I don,t care if i have sex ever again. Now the 3rd problem which I have started about 2 months ago. I started getting blu/black quite big bruises on my arms and legs with leg and joint pain. This past week I have been getting lots of yellow small bruises in different places mainly on my left leg. I have achey legs. Don't no if any importence done a blood prick last week and the reading for blood sugar was 154 half an hour after food don't know if that is normal of not. Had routing blood tests but all seems to be normal. can u help?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
General Q&A Answer A3004
Pain and tension in the neck, a feeling that your head is going to explode, fear of dying, hot flushes, jumping awake during sleep and occasional inability to swallow are probably all symptoms of some type of anxiety disorder. In this case, the anxiety doesn’t seem to be due to an organic lesion or tumor in the brain because you would be dead by now or the symptoms would progress.

Lack of sexual desire could be due to a depressive disorder. Depression is the most common psychiatric reason for lack of sexual desire. Therefore, it seems likely that the first 2 problems are connected and due to the same reason: anxious-depressive disorder. You can ask for psychiatric help to manage these issues.

About the third problem: it is very hard to tell what is causing the bruises located on the arms and legs combined with joint pain without diagnostic tests. In other words, compete blood analyses (blood count, sedimentation, liver status, kidney status, coagulation status, CRP, RF…) would be necessary to establish a proper diagnosis. And X-ray iamge of the affected joints is also recommended in diagnostic protocol. You can see an internist to follow up with examinations and consultation.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.