Hi all. I'm hoping somebody can give me a little info about this problem.

My mother just had a gastric bypass operation this previous wednesday. Within about 24 or so hours she started getting a fever. After a bit it finally got high enough (107) that the doctor decided he needed to go back in and try to see if he could find something causing it (infection or something).

He found the problem to be a stitch/sucher that didn't close back over properly from the needle hole and allowed stomach acid back into the bloodstream. The fixed it and she has been doing better since (still hasn't been allowed to wake up yet).

Anyway...My question is this:
is this in any way a normal occurance or is this due to a surgical error?

not like we are looking for a lawsuit necessarily....But just mainly want to know if this could have been avoided?

Can anyone shed any light on this type of error?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 12th, 2003
Gastric Bypass
Hello king termite. I am a licensed vocation nurse and director of a weight loss surgery program in california. Generally speaking, there is no "perfect" surgery, and unless there is a clearly obvious, blatant error on the part of the surgeon, which this appears not to be, unforseen complications occur with gastric bypass as well as other surgeries. Because of the complication your mother experienced, some bariatric surgeons prefer to use titatium staples instead of sutures in an effort to reduce the risk of leakage.
|

replied September 12th, 2003
Thank you for the reply, hartlund. With the research I was doing, I was already beginning to believe this was the case. The doctor has a clean record and i've seen elsewhere that this is fairly common. Just trying to make sure.

Mother is doing somewhat better now, but still not awake. Been in icu for over 2 weeks now....But believe we'll see big improvements in the next few days.
|

replied October 17th, 2003
My sister had this surgery on june 30, 2003. She spent her 45th birthday (august 25) in the cemetery. I am so against this type of surgery and am wanting to get word out against it. The doctor poked a hole in her intestines and she got an infection and they ignored her complaints and kept telling her it was gas and if she would just pass gas she would feel better. She gained about 160 pounds in 4 days from the i.V.'s they kept putting in her before they decided to go back in and find the problem. By that time it was to late. Please keep on top of the doctors and make them answer questions and keep asking questions. I hope and pray that your mother is okay and will keep checking back to see how she is doing. This was the fault of the doctor and my sister should have never died. She went through the surgery fine, it was the error on the doctors behalf. First for not checking the intestines to make sure there were no holes or leaks before closing her and second for not listening and believing her when she kept telling them something was wrong.
|

replied December 2nd, 2003
Jones; who was the surgeon and from where?
|

replied December 25th, 2003
Crying or Very sad my mother had the same problem the thing was that when they opened her up to see what the problem was she had got a infection in her stomach the 3 timed they opened her the found out she had got the infection when they open her the 2 time and left her stomach open my mother layed in the hospital for 2 months with her stomach open and not waking up saddy to say my mother passed away I do not and would not ever advise anyone to ever go through with this sugery and ever have to go through what my family had to go through I hope your mother does ok best of wishes Sad
|

replied June 19th, 2010
gastric bypass gone terribly wrong
my mother also just had gastric bypass surgery this past wednesday june 16, 2010 . She woke up from the anesthia , and later that night developed 107 fever and is now on life support , they also went back in to make sure she wasnt bleeding internally , an hour passed they said everything looked good , but it is now 3 days later and they still have no answer for us , she is on 100%oxygen and its not enough , they want to pull the plug on her , and we refuse ! they said its a freak thing that youd only see in about 1 out of 100,000 people , come on , something is wrong with her , shes going to die , if no one can give us an answwe, Im scared , what should we do ? they said her urine is fine and there is no infection what so ever , this is a human being this is my mother , I want answers !
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...