Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diagnostic Techniques, Treatments Forum

Help translate MRI-scan and X-ray image results

User Profile
I am having extreme pain on lying down in my right hip, leg to my foot with stabbing pains, , cannot sleep or rest.
My doctor ordered this MRI, never called me with the results, I had to pick them up, ordered P.T. and says I don't need to come back for a follow up.

Is there anything in the MRI that may be causing my pain, should i see a neurologist for a followup?

I haven't started P.T. yet, as the this m.d. seems uninterested in me.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2007
Diagnostic Techniques & Treatments Answer A2983
You wrote:

"Current medical status: back x-ray, AP, lateral, both obliques and spot lateral view of the lumbosacral junction shows mild dextroscoliosis. There is narrowing at L4-L5 and L3-L4 interspace levels. There is minimal anterior spurring at both of these levels. No acute compression deformity is present. Zygapophyseal joints show some mild narrowing and sclerosis at L4-L5 and L5-S1 interspace levels. The SI joints are intact as visualized. IMPRESSION: Mild to moderate intervertebral chondrosis. Some lower lumbar zygapophyseal joint degenerative changes. MRI FINDINGS MRI OF THE LUMBAR SPINE, 5/31/07: CLINICAL DATA: Increasing low back pain with radiation into the right hip and lower extremity. TECHNIQUE: MRI of the lumbar spine was performed using the standard protocol. COMPARISON: None. FINDINGS: There is grade I spondylolisthesis of L4 on L5. No spondylolisis seen. Moderate disc space narrowing is identified at L3-L4. There is mild to moderate disc space narrowing at L4-L5. The remainder of the intervertebral disc spaces are intact. Mild discovertebral degenerative changes are noted in the lower lumbar spine. Circumferential disc bulges are identified at L2-L3 through L4-L5. No significant central spinal canal stenosis is identified at these levels. There is a relatively small posterior disc herniation at L5-S1 on the left. No significant central spinal canal stenosis is seen at this level, however, there is mild narrowing of the left lateral recess affecting the left S1 nerve root. There is mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing at L3-L4 secondary to bulging disc. Mild neural foraminal narrowing is also seen at L4-L5 on the right. There is moderate narrowing of the neural foramen at L4-L5 on the left. This finding is in part related to hypertrophic fac! et joint changes at this level. IMPRESSION: 1. Grade I spondylolisthesis of L4 on L5. No spondylolysis. 2. Disc space narrowing at L3-L4 and at L4-L5. 3. Circumferential disc bulges at L2-L3 through L4-L5. There is a small focal posterior disc herniation at L5-S1 on the left. Mild left lateral recess narrowing is seen at L5-S1. 4. No significant central spinal canal stenosis. 5. Bilateral neural foraminal narrowing at L3-L4 and L4-L5 as described above."

I agree with you that your doctor does not seem interested in you. Both the MRI-scan and X-ray image show that there are spondylotic changes in the lumbar-sacral part of the spine that probably cause those pains. Painkillers and physical therapy may help... but some spondylotic changes like discus hernia are best treated surgically. You might consider consulting an orthopedist or neurosurgeon for a second opinion. And you might change doctors!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diagnostic Techniques, Treatments , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.