Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Brutal Anxiety 24 Hours a Day , 7 Days a Week .

I am a 37 year old male. I have had what I was told was severe bouts of gastroenteritis. The first occured Feburary 2006, and lasted 10 days. The second occured Feb 2007 and again lasted 10 days. This occured 3 days after an endoscopy. The most recent was April 2007, 5 days after a hernia surgery. This episode lasted 14 days, all were crippling, leaving me in bed for the whole duration. Symptoms were most intense in the morning, easing in the evening. Since this last instance, I do not feel like I have fully recovered...I have severe pains in my abdomen and periodic nausea and diahreah. Also, I have developed severe anxiety as a result of the illness, and am terrified it will return. I cannot stress enough how horrific the experience was. I have been to my gastroenterologist and he says nothing is wrong. I had bloodwork, stool samples taken, a ct scan and xray, all coming back negative. What is wrong with me.

Just an Update...could these continuing symptoms be just the Anxiety?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2007
Look this,s not symptoms of anxiety, i guess this,s a result from the severe pain of ur sugery and endoscopy..

I think sedatives will be good for ur case here..

But stress and anxiety is another issue coz it mostly came out of nothing.

so tell me do u take same specific sedatives or downer to kill pain ??
|

replied June 19th, 2007
Update
Went to a psychologits yesterday, she believes the lingering nausea is in fact Generalized Anxiety Disorder. The trauma of the 14 day illness triggered the anxiety, which in turn caused the continued nausea. She had me up my Clonanzapam from .5 mg a day that my Primary care physician had me taking (she is afraid I will become addicted) to 1 mg a day, huge difference, not a hundred percent there yet, but the stomach needs time to heal I believe. I have been dealing with anxiety for 8 years, and was med free the last 3 and 1/2. I just read an interesting article about nausea and anxiety at the below link panicdisorder.about.com/cs/anxietymoreinfo /a/nauseaanxiety.htm
and it just makes sense. The brain pumps out signals to the body and this in turn affects the gastrointestinal system. Go figure. My 14 day stomach flu was most likely a 3 to 10 day affair, the balance was the anxiety induced nausea. The doctors at the hospital never even considered the possibility.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Hi there, You have certinaly had your share of trauma! Your body takes time to heal, especially your gut linings, stomach, esophugus etc. Your nausea could very well be related to the stress and trauma your body has gone though. the hernia surgery, endoscopy for expolritory purposes....you have been under a lot. So glad you aren't one to listen to to those who have no clue.....Sedatives, pain killers etc, this doesn't touch the root of the problem. Sure, pain meds and anti anxiety meds can take the edge off for a while, but you have to allow time to heal. Seems like it takes forever. Its been 7 months for me! But I'm getting better everyday. Hope you will too! Laughing
|

replied June 19th, 2007
Thank You
Its been a long ordeal, from others I have gotten sympathy, apathy and contempt. One friend told me it was all in my head and I should just get over it. While I have compassion for what you went through, I am glad to hear I am not alone in this kind of situation. Honestly, the doctors are damn clueless.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2007
Supporter
Me Again
I have a family friend who is doctor in charge of ER, also has his own practice.....he told me they have to make EDUCATED GUESSES sometimes. Never listen to those who don't have a clue......it is all in our head, our throats, our stomachs, intestines...all the way down! Like these damned headaches.....not one Dr/neurologist....can tell me why I have them.......every other week. I have learned to deal with them and not make the pharmaceutical companies any wealthier! Got one life, make the most of it! Good luck to you and God bless you! Laughing
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...