Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

Are Ovarian Cysts Serious ? should I be worried ?

User Profile
IN ONE OF MY RECENT X-RAYS THEY FOUND A SOFT TISSUE LESION MEASURING 32 X 30 MM CONTAINS A 19 X 15 MM FLUID DENSITY CENTER PRESUMABLY AN OVARIAN CYST. I HAVEN'T FOLLOWED UP WITH THIS FINDING I WAS WONDERING HOW BIG IS THE CYST AND SHOULD I BE CONCERNED. I HAD A HYSTERECTOMY IN 2001.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2007
Infertility Answer A2964
If the ovaries are still functional (woman is in reproductive age and still menstruating) and cyst is smaller than 5cm in diameter then the cyst should be monitored for a few months. During the reproductive age we expect that ovarian cysts smaller than 5cm are functional and can disappear spontaneously without surgical intervention. If does not disappear after 2-3 months the cyst should be removed surgically.
If the cyst is larger than 5 cm in diameter no matter the age or smaller than 5 cm but the woman is in menopause (finished reproductive age) then the cyst should be removed surgically as soon as possible.
In your case the cyst is smaller than 5cm but I’m not sure about the ovarian functionality because your uterus is removed and you don’t have periodic bleeding (menstruation). According to your age (39), your ovaries should be still functional. Anyway, ovarian functionality can be proven by other methods (ultrasound, progesterone detection, basal temperature, ovulation predictor tests etc.).
You can consult some gynecologist about this.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.