Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

Woman with hair on chin and neck : PCOS ?

User Profile
hi! my problem is an dequate growth of hair on my chin jawline and neck. on my last visit the doctor said he cannot help me anymore as my hair has become light in colour and the machine is having trouble targetting it(2 months ago). since then, my hair is getting thicker again and new hair growth has started. i dont know what to do!! this is so embarrassing. i am a woman yet i look like a man! this making me deeply unhappy now. help!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2007
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A2965
Given the data you've provided (irregular cycles, overweight and hair growth) ... you could be experiencing poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Hair growth, or "hirsutism", is often due to this type of endocrine disorder. During PCOS, the ovaries produce more male hormones (androstendion) that cause hair-growth, obesity and menstrual disorders (lack of ovulation). Hirsutism during PCOS is followed by symptoms of virilisation (clitoris growth, breast atrophy, voice changing, irregular cycles, obesity etc.). If there aren’t signs of virilisation, hair growth can be considered a skin disorder and treated by a dermatologist but if there are additional signs of virilisation (as in your case) you should visit a gynecologist-endocrinologist for further help.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.