I'm not going into detail about this, but I know a person that has a child that's a little younger than Ava that's not meeting her milestones. She's not grasping, flipping over, sitting up, her head still wobbles, and she hates (cries hysterically) when she puts her on her tummy; whereas at that age Ava was doing all that and more. She loved being on her belly, she was flipping over from both sides, sitting up, playing with toys, etc. I hate to compare, but Ava's all I have to compare. I'm actually very concerned. I don't know if I should say anything. She's a very close person to me, but can get easily offended. I'm concerned for the child. The child's problem is actually that her parents don't do anything with her. Her mother told me to my face that the only time she puts her down is in her swing or in her bassinet. The father is clueless. He doesn't do anything with her either. I've seen parents that put children in their swings all day b/c of the type of work I do, but I never thought this person would be this type of mother until now. She thinks it's okay. I'm baffled.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am surprised the ped hasn't picked up on it. I know when .I took .Jaylon for his 2 month appt, they had a questioneer asking what he did and when .I had answered no to three things .I stopped. Then the doc checked him out to see if he could do a lot of them anyway. He's doing a lot of the things you mentioned, except the rolling, and he absolutely loves being on his tummy.

I don't know if .I would say anything to her or not. She will probably be offended, as any mother would. Nobody likes to hear anything bad about their kids, and a lot of people only want advice when they ask for it. What .I may say, is "you know, it's good to put them on their tummy because it makes them lift their head and that strengthens their neck.

Good luck with her
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I don't really know, hon Sad maybe the baby will start picking things up when she gets older? Alyvia hated tummy time too and is one of those "needs to be held all the time" babies, but she hit all of her milestones.

Maybe you could drop some hints with your friend instead of point-blank pointing out the things she's doing wrong. Like maybe ask which toys the baby likes to play with while on her tummy, or how long she's able to hold her head up, or if she wants to test-drive .Ava's bumbo, etc...

other than that, I really don't know. Neutral
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I use to go to her pedi and she doesn't ask what they're doing. Oh and I forgot, she thinks she knows everything too. She if I tell her that way, she'd say, "yeah I know, but she hates it". She knows best and that's the bottomline. Maybe being that I'm a teacher and was an early interventionist she'd take me seriously. I may just mention it like, "oh, she doesn't grab at her toys?" Maybe I can make her realize without actually saying it directly.
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
She doesn't hold her all the time. She puts her down. The baby screams and cries and it takes a while for her to pick her up. The baby will just lay in a play pen and not moveb/c she has no choice
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Shocked Neutral ...wow. Umm, why does she let her baby cry like that?
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
She's lazy.
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2007
Supporter
jessesgirl wrote:
She's lazy.

great mother Rolling Eyes
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Wow, holding her baby is too much work for her? She does know that they get more needy as they get bigger, right? Shocked
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
how much younger than ava is the other baby? doesn't her mom see how much ava is doing and wonder why her baby isn't even close?

it's sad that she's too lazy to teach and play with her baby.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...