Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Anterior Cervix & Pregnancy (warning Might Be Tmi)

I was told by my ob at 6 weeks postpartum that my cervix was anterior and that it may be my new baseline. Sure enough at my first annual exam my family physician noted the same thing. I am now 12 weeks pregnant and at my 8 week appt the nurse noted how "short" it was while doing a vaginal ultrasound. She stated that she didn't think I could have a vaginal birth because of this and because my pelvis was so small. I don't have any other symptoms other than pelvic pressure I associate with pregnancy, and sometimes sex feels a little unusual but not painful. Since becoming pregnant I feel the need to avoid deep penetration for comfort reasons.

I'm not concerned about the prospect of having another csection. My question is whether there are any known complications with pregnancy associated with having a "low" cervix. For example, is an anterior cervix the same as a mild uterine prolapse and if so should I be concerned about preterm labor?

Additional background info: after a long labor, complete dilation and effacement and 1.5 hours of pushing with my first baby (a big girl, 9lbs 10oz) I ended up giving birth by csection, presumably because she was too big.

I am planning on asking my ob about this but in the meantime i'd appreciate any information you can provide.

Tia
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 2nd, 2004
Experienced User
You should defanently follow up on this with your doctor. It doesnt seem to me that they are the same thing, rather that a low cervix can be a result from uterine prolapse. For home treatment you can do kegel exercises. This should help some. Let us know how everything goes. Good luck with everything.
|

replied March 7th, 2004
I asked my ob about my "anterior cervix" at my last visit and he said he wasn't concerned about it at all and that he didn't think there'd be any complications I need to worry about. He also said that although it was "up front" now as my uterus grows my cervix will get pulled up too.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
Well my pelvic area was too small and I was warned about it years ago. I told my ob doc before I gave birth and he said we will just have to wait and see how labor goes. Well needless to say...I was too small. My daughters head got stuck and I had to push for 4 hrs!!! She was already to the point of no return basically...They couldn't give me a c section at tat point either. She was not breathing when she was born and almost died. She weighed 7lbs 11oz. It was a very scary experience for me and I think next time I will be having a c section. Other than that my pregnancy didn't really have many complications...I just had edema real real real bad.

~sara~
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...