I was wondering if anyone ever had this happren? I had layed down to rest one afternoon, wheb I awoke to my heart pounding hard--almost like it was going to pound out of my chest. Has anyone ever had this happen before, just wondering!
Thanks,
danamac
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 29th, 2004
You could have had a weird dream, causing your body to panic. I don't know. You're body can convince itself it's in danger even in its sleep.
|

replied March 1st, 2004
I never thought about having a dream! I have just been having a lot of heaviness in my chest lately and also some pain, but it comes and goes. I had a stress test done a couple of months ago and it was fine. I also had blood work done and my cholesterol is 164 and good and bad cholesterol is right on the border. I just wish I knew what was going on with me, I just don't feel well. Thanks to all who have any suggestions.
|

replied March 2nd, 2004
I wouldn't be worried, unless this happened often. It was most likely a dream of some sort. The body can have signs of panic, (i.E poundign heart) in situations that don't really need it. It's the whole "fight-or-flight" thing. It's really a mechanism for if you you're confronted by some dangerous animal. Humans, being intelectual lifeforms, have that same response to things which offer no potential harm, just psychological stress (like giving a big speech on something; you're not going to die, it's just well, a speech to a large number of people). Now, your dreams basically are your brain on screensaver. The part of sleep that you dream in (known as rem sleep, for rapid eye movement) has the same type of brain waves as that of when you're awake. So, your brain probably triggered panic or something. Your heart beat thing is probably just like when you wake up covered in sweat (sometimes that is because it is hot, others because you just panic and sweat in yoursleep) or even like crying in your sleep. Next time it happens, see if you can remember anything from when you were asleep. Wink
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....