User Profile
Anyone have any experience with a raw food diet?

My boyfriend is interested in starting this for himself and I'd like to learn more about personal experiences.

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 15th, 2007
Re: Raw Food Diet
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_calo rie_diet. there is a list of fresh fruits and vegatables within it. i tried this sort of diet, eating hardly any non-negative calorie foods for over a month, and I ended up with severe malnutrition.
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
There is a difference between a raw food diet and a 'negative calorie diet'.

Your link does not contain any information. You should look at your links after searching them out to make sure they are pertinent.
|

replied July 16th, 2007
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

1 The basics
2 Foods
2.1 Notes
3 Criticisms
4 References
5 See also
6 External links

[edit] The basics
In a negative calorie diet and several versions of this diet, ostensibly, dieters are to eat and drink food products that are nutritious but are said to have a negative caloric effect; i.e., provide fewer food calories than the calories needed to digest them. The energy that the body needs to digest the food is usually given as a certain amount of calories, whilst the energy content of the food is given as kilocalories - often written "Calorie". [1]

[edit] Foods
The "negative calorie" foods allowed in this diet are mainly vegetables and fruits. Foods that have been claimed to "contain" negative calories include [1] :

Apples
Asparagus
Beets
Blueberries
Broccoli
Cantaloupes
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery stalk
Celery root
Chicory
Chili peppers
Cranberries
Cucumbers
Dandelions
Endives
Garden cress
Garlic
Grapefruit
Green beans
Green cabbage
Lamb's lettuce
Lemons
Lettuce
Mangos
Onions
Oranges
Papayas
Pineapples
Prunes
Radishes
Raspberries
Spinach
Strawberries
Tangerines
Tomatoes
Turnips
Zucchini

[edit] Notes
The effectiveness of the above foods are linked to their nutritional value. One of the most often mentionned negative calorie foods is celery, due to its' extremely low nutritional value.
Although not usually considered a food, ice cubes have been used as a negative calorie source, in that water contains no calories in the first place, and the body must expend energy to compensate for the slight decrease in temperature it experiences as the ice is consumed.
Certain sugar-free juices and broths have also been claimed to contain negative calories.
Some fasts feature body cleansing mixtures, which typically contain negligible amounts of calories.

[edit] Criticisms
This diet is criticized as basing its main premise on unsound science. There is much debate about the factual existence of negative calories; there is also controversy surrounding whether it is possible for a food to contain "negative" calories. Factually, the only foods which could genuinely and without qualification fall into this category are cellulose and water, the belief being that the action of the esophagus, stomach, intestines, etc. to move these substances through the system would burn a small amount of calories. Water contains zero calories and the calories in cellulose are inaccessible to humans due to the lack of a cellulase enzyme.

Aside from the factual dispute of whether negative calorie foods exist, some also criticize that such dieters use the concept of negative calories to justify eating unlimited quantities of such foods, and that doing so is not healthy. Similarly, although some of the foods mentioned are traditionally considered to have fair nutritional value, others may contain very little, or lack certain nutrients, which may lead to malnutrition.

[edit] References
^ Free List of Negative Calorie Foods
[2]

[edit] See also
Crash diet
Negative calories
Raw foods diet

[edit] External links
Negative Calorie Diet: Diet Review
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_cal orie_diet"
Categories: Accuracy disputes | Diets | Fasting
searching them out to make sure they are pertinent.[/quote]

I don't know why that link did not work, but I went and copied the article. Not all raw foods are negative calorie foods, and not all negative calorie foods are listed above. I think it takes energy to digest the "negative calorie" foods because of there water, fiber, and phytochemical content.
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Okay, thanks for the info on the negative calorie diet.

Now, does anyone have any experience with the raw food diet?
|

replied July 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't have any info on it but I did see an episode of wife swap where the family only ate raw foods. When the wives swaped places the new mom made the kids eat cooked food and it made them really really sick.
I couldn't see myself eating any meat raw. Is that what he is thinking about?
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Right now I am on a great diet! I love it since I started I have lost about 7 pounds. BUT it's not just the weight that I have lost its the energy I hae gained! It's great! I get all of my meals ready on Sunday and then I don't have to 'prepare' through the week.. (except meat) Its great.. I will try to look it up!
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
*star* wrote:
I don't have any info on it but I did see an episode of wife swap where the family only ate raw foods. When the wives swaped places the new mom made the kids eat cooked food and it made them really really sick.

Huh, I would have really liked to seen that show. Wife swap?

His goal is to eat as close as to what human beings evolved to being able to eat, as well as eating foods that have the maximum amount of nutrition in them. When you cook certain foods, you lose quite a bit of the nutrients.

We already do not eat meat; he would not eat raw poultry or meat. Seafood raw is fine. You have to know where you are getting it from, though.

I just wondered if anyone's ever tried this and what the results are.

He is not doing it to lose weight; he already mainains a very healthy weight and a fine physique (if I do say so myself Wink ). He is more interested in being healthy.
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Birch wrote:
*star* wrote:

Huh, I would have really liked to seen that show. Wife swap?

His goal is to eat as close as to what human beings evolved to being able to eat, as well as eating foods that have the maximum amount of nutrition in them. When you cook certain foods, you lose quite a bit of the nutrients.

We already do not eat meat; he would not eat raw poultry or meat. Seafood raw is fine. You have to know where you are getting it from, though.

I just wondered if anyone's ever tried this and what the results are.

He is not doing it to lose weight; he already mainains a very healthy weight and a fine physique (if I do say so myself Wink ). He is more interested in being healthy.

Thats really good then he should try it. My diet isn't about raw foods, but yes mostly vegtables. However, to get more of the nutrients I have to boil a whole list of different vegtables and then strain them and drink the vegtable broth.. I only wanted to lose about ten pounds, but like him I wanted a healthy life style. The other vegtables I eat should be raw or just slightly steamed etc. However, the meat has to be cooked ond only 6 oz each day. I also have to take a rice protine shake 3 times a day. mostly fruit and flax seed oil..

Anyway I did a little research on the raw food diet here are some links you can check out... If you don't want to look at these sites I will quote a bit about what I read..

"A problem with raw foods is that they are the highest in pesticides.Organic raw foods may be necessary, unless a person is very clever in working around the worst pesticides. The effects are quite noticeable, which allows adjustments to be made."

"However, I find that copper and zinc are also needed with a vegetarian diet, because plant material is very low in these minerals compared to meat. These minerals are toxic while being absorbed, so they should be taken in small quantities"

"A raw food diet creates major improvements in health. The reasons are not known, but the experience is unmistakable. Weight normalizes, which generally means a reduction in fat. At the same time, a person feels extremely energized. It's as if energy would rather be burned up than converted to fat."

"One very obvious improvement resulting from a raw food diet is in the digestive system. Raw food digests marvelously well, so a person does not notice the acid, bile and residual effects of digestion that go with a cooked food diet."

http://nov55.com/hea/food.html

http://www.thegardendiet.com/ (this one is really neat)

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification -diet/enzymes.htm
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Wow Dale, thanks so much for these links!!! They are really inspiring. I think I should do it. I also admire anyone who can do this kind of diet. It is very hard (for me, at least) to be restrictive. And a raw diet is fine in the summertime, but the winter? I need a good steamed squash or two to get by daily.

We already do organic, so that's cool. He's on it as far as vitamins go, but I'm not sure if he knows about zinc and copper. I know he's getting B12 from cheese (raw milk cheese...) and egg yolks. And yeah, his energy level is amazing. He goes to bed at 6:30am and gets up at 10:30am, and he is productive all that time!

I think he's an alien!

Thanks again; this was very helpful!
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....