Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Medical Marijuana Debate

User Profile
"Should marijuana become a legal medical option?"

Do you think that patients should be allowed access to THC as a pain reliever? Many believe that marijuana can help ease the symptoms of painful and/or chronic conditions or treatment such as AIDS, Alzheimer's, Arthritis, Asthma / Breathing Disorders, Chemotherapy, Crohn's, Gastrointestinal Disorders, Epilepsy / Seizures, Glaucoma, Hepatitis C, Migraines, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Spasms, Pain, Analgesia, Psychological Conditions, and Tourette's Syndrome.

Others claim that marijuana is a gateway drug that will lead to abuse of narcotics and want to see the substance criminalized. The opponents of the medical use of marijuana state that the risks of medical marijuana include drug addiction, cancer, brain damage, decreased reproductive ability, and possible death.

What's your opinion? We invite you to share your opinion here

Last edited by admin on September 24th, 2009 07:52 AM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 20th, 2007
I love the "gateway drug" stuff. Sure it can be a gateway drug. But so can almost any drug, legal or otherwise. I know more people who are addicted to prescription meds than to pot. Should it be a medical option? Of course, IMO. Someone enduring debilitating pain is bound to be a lot more worried about the suffering than about the possible addictive nature of THC. It's easy to sit in judgment of others who may want marijuana as a medicine, but maybe the best judges are those who are doing the actual suffering and are looking for options to allieviate their pain. It wouldn't surprise me if once the pharmaceutical industry has the apparatus in place to control the distribution of marijuana, it will become legal as a medicine.
Regards,
Richard Day Gore
|
Users who thank Richard Day Gore for this post: homerx 

replied September 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i have a friend who has smoked pot for seventeen years and has never tried another drug

so i dont think its a gateway drug at all. depends on the person.
|
Users who thank young Girl for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2008
Community Volunteer
YES! Legalize Medical Marijuana ...take my POLL under Medical Marijuana forum PLEASE and let me know what you think!
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2008
ive smoked 4 about 12 years and dont do anything else
|
Users who thank hazardous for this post: homerx 

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I know...it isn't a gateway drug,that is propaganda ...heck, life is a gateway drug is you want to get technical...MJ is no more a gateway drug than aspirin,cigs,alcohol,Maalox or chocolate...
If you are going to do drugs,drink or whatever then you are...Some people over eat until they get huge and get sick from it...its the person..some can handle a cocktail and some turn into drunks.Some can have a piece of pie and others have to have the entire thing.Some can have a joint and others have to smoke 6.Some can have a pain pill and others have to take them all...its an individual thing but MJ is NOT a gate way drug,that's politics and playing the blame game...
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I totally agree with Homerx.

It truly depends on the person and how they handle certain things. I for one have MS along with it's wonderful sidekicks and one being pain that comes and goes. Instead of taking a narcotic like LorTab and other pills which are known to cause gastritis (inflammation of the stomach) and is quite painful, went through 6 weeks of that this year and overtime gastritis can lead into stomach cancer.

However if I could obtain and smoke MJ legally (without the Federal Government coming in and taking away my life), I would do MJ just for relief and nothing else. I absolutely hate taking any sort of medication but at the same token I can not take a lot of pain and I have a high tolerence for it.

Got to love our so called Government, got to tell us what we can and can not do and I'm sure that behind their closed doors they are doing exactly what they are telling us that we can't do. Such hypocrites.

~Zig
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
zigemyster wrote:
Got to love our so called Government, got to tell us what we can and can not do and I'm sure that behind their closed doors they are doing exactly what they are telling us that we can't do. Such hypocrites.
Zig...right on...the government really needs to get a life and stay out of ours...Marijuana has been PROVEN to help people with MS...that sucks! I hope you are doing OK. I also totally agree with you. I would rather use MJ than take pills as well.I have AIDS and if it wasnt for MJ I would weigh 100 lbs and never sleep or get out of bed...and I am considered a criminal in my state just for using it personally for a very serious illness... Rolling Eyes what a world...

Legalize medical marijuana protest protest protest protest protest protest protest
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Thank you. Actually I'm doing quite well compared to other people who have MS. As with most chronic illnesses, there are good days and bad. I still have the use of my legs and sometimes I have a brain freeze...been told that my case thus far is somewhere between benign and RRMS (relapsing remitting MS)...work full time and employer does not know as if they did I'm sure I would be the one that they would let go however my immediate supervisor knows and she has known for years and can keep a secret Smile. So I cover my MS related issues as something else. So sad.

Back to the MJ debate...we just need to keep this issue alive and keep it going as it should be legalized for people like us.

If a person has a documented illness that has been approved for MJ use and that person uses MJ according to the directions provided then it should be legal. However if the distributors and or doctors begin to dispense / prescribe to every Tom, Dick & Harry then that makes us all suffer and would not be fair.

Personally I would love to save my stomach & liver from additional damage from other medication when I could get better results from a plant.

I believe Montel Williams is a huge advocate on legalizing medical MJ.

Homerx, I hope you are doing well and may one day it will be legal in your state of TX as well as mine, TN.

~Zig
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
T for Texas T for Tennessee...yeah, hopefully one day.In the south ,we will be last because people here are still very red neck old school...
here is Montel
http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic124968 .html
|

replied May 5th, 2009
Supporter
Ask them
Ask the cancer free majority, how they would feel about someone who's never been there, deciding what they, a patient, should or should not, put in their bodies. There comes a point at which only the patient, and his/her Doctors should decide on the course of treatment. The thought of a cancer patient rotting in jail is so repulsive, just to think of it is enough to make me cringe. Cancer patients are at a disadvantage, because when one fights cancer, it's about a full time job. We can't afford to be identified. Being arrested is a nightmare to us.
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....