Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Effects of Total Colectomy

Hi. I had a total colectomy (polyps for Gardner's Syndrome) and instead of the ileotomy device, they did a re-section. Since then, I am on two different anti-diarrhea medications, benefiber tablets (up to 15 a day) but still have frequent bouts of diarrhea (acid). I wondered if any one else had or has been dealing with this and what they have come up with to lessen the pain and discomfort.

For awhile I was using the Depends and diaper cream to keep things under the best control I could, but after many attempts at food and drink, I have found a lot of "triggers". I did find a cream to help with the bum being burned (calmoseptine at the drug store). But as of yet, I am not able to work full days nor be to far from a bathroom and I never really know when or why a severe attack will happen.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 26th, 2009
colectomy questions
I had my colectomy 3 years ago, I totally regret it. I have diarrhea every day of my life and when I have to cough or sneeze I am frequently incontinent. I have tried everything I can think of and alot of what I've read, not much helps. I was diagnosed with familial adenamatosis polyposis and at times I wish I'd left things alone. Anyone have any advice, I'm still willing to try.
|

replied March 9th, 2014
Hello, I had the same surgery and the same stomach problems. My doctor told me to take Citrucel which made me feel better but increased my diarrhea. So someone told me to try Tums and it worked great. I eat one at a time sometimes 2-3 times a day. So it has been about a month now and still doing good. Hope this helps you.
|

replied June 14th, 2010
I had a total colectomy 25 years ago. I take pentasa 250mg 2-4 times a day So Ican digest food. with that I take Lomotil 10mg 2-4 times a day and "equate" brand fiber 500mg caplets(100 caps for $6.49 from walmart) 2-4 times a day breakfast lunch dinner and bedtime. prefurably 10-20 minutes before you eat a meal or snack at bedtime. As for the burning acid diareah what is happening is your getting a yeast from the bacteria from your own feces. I take 2 pro-biotic acidolphilus with my morning meds to help control the diareah acid and bad bacteria growth. The brand I get is "PB8" 14 billion good bacteria from "Nutrition Now" from the health food store. they usually run about $22-$25.(If you get the 120 caps they last 2 months)You may need more or less of these pills everyone is different.I started out with taking only 2 pentasa and 2 lomotil, but over the years it got worse. They check me out for my liver ect. but Im really good on my numbers because I believe it has to do with how much I really absorb them. I have timed how fast food goes thru my system without my large intestine. About 2 hours. If I dont drink enough water, at least 8 ounces to 16 ounces with each dose My pills will go thru my body so quick that they will pass thru totally intact. No kidding! So I figure that i really dont get all of the medecine in my system. Thats why I dont have any physical damage inside. It only makes sense right? Well good luck and hope Ive shed some light on the subject, from a lifer.By the way im was only 36 years old when I had my colectomy, they said I should have been dead because I had absolutely no tissue left inside of my large intestine And that this operation would only last 10 years. Im living proof that with a little digging into some natural remedies plus the manmade meds you can control your diareah and lead a close to normal life. I am always on the go. I dont believe Everything would be in control if I didnt use all of these things!!!! good luck to all of you. Michelle Law
|
Users who thank beeniefrenzy for this post: jspang1539 

replied June 28th, 2010
Colonectomy Side Effects
My sister had a colonectomy 2 years ago due to Crohn's Disease and has been suffering from diarrhea since then, although she was initially told this was only temporary. It has totally effected her quality of life, especially since she suffers from other disablities as well. She watches what she eats and still has problems and worries constantly about not being able to get to the bathroom in time. She does wear depends but has still had accidents. She eats 2 coconut macaroons a day and was recently told by her doctor to take lomotil and immodium an hour before eating and this has supposedly helped. I was hoping to go online and find some solution to the problem but that does not seem to be the case. Also, was distressed to learn that the cause of the surgery could come back, even thought my sister was told she was cured of Crohn's.
|

replied August 31st, 2010
total collectomy
I had my total collectomy when I was 17 years old due to ulcerative colitis. I was told it could be controlled with medication but about a year later it got so out of control that I had to have the surgery. Ulcerative colitis only effects the large intestine so for the most part I do not have to worry about flares or trouble with rectal bleeding. Crohns effects the whole intestinal tract so there is no cure because you cannot remove your large and small intestine. I am now about to turn 21 and I live a completely regular life. I am a student-athlete at Ohio State and really enjoy my life. I do have about 5 bowel movements a day even with taking 6 immodium tablets a day but I undestand that I am lucky to just be alive thanks to my amazing doctors and surgeon. Please everyone dealing with this keep a positive attitude because I could not have gotten through this without my support systems (including online blogs).One thing that does help is when I have a big day planned I do not eat much the night before and have a light breakfast.
|
Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....