Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Anyone Try Invega (paliperidone) Aka Long-acting Risperdal?

Hi. I started taking 3mg of Invega yesterday (the smallest available dose) and I'm wondering if anyone else here takes it?

It's a new medication which is basically a long-acting form of Risperdal. I have never tried regular Risperdal so I have no idea if Invega will be similar.

My Psychiatrist and Myself decided this might be a good med for me as I was having nothing but trouble on Geodon and Trazodone. They totally threw my into a terribly unstable mixed state. Oh gosh was it bad. Luckily I'm now coming through it.

So any info or experiences you may have regarding Invega (Paliperidone) would be greatly appreciated as I'm having a hard time finding anything about this med because it's so new.

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend! Smile

Hugs,
Baby Bunny

"Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place."
- Psalm 28:2 (NIV)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 11th, 2007
Invega
Hello Buddy,

I have been taking Invega for about a month now and it seems to be working really well! My psychiatrist put me on it because I tried Risperdal and it did not work as well and the mood swings were still there! Now I still have the occasional mood swings but they are more controlled and less drastic! I am still not 100% where I need to be, but then again, I don't know what that is! All I know is that there was one time when I did not deal with this devastating state of mind! However, I am feeling a lot better and I am going to ask my doctor to up the dose and put me on a mood stabilizer because the two work well together!....But to answer your question, Invega definitely works better for me! It seems to work all day as opposed to the immediate release risperdal! I am on 6 MG and I am a lot better than when I got on the medication! It might also help to be on an antidepressant like Paxil, which I take along with the Invega! also, I am occasionally put on Ativan to help me sleep during stressful situations! But I would definitely stick with the Invega! In my experience the higher dose definitely helped! I started on 3 MG and that did not work quite as well!
|

replied July 13th, 2007
Invega
I am being prescribed invega and will start tomorrow and i am a little bit afriad of the side effects, does anyone know anything about this drug?
|

replied August 9th, 2007
About Invega
hey baby bunny, i have been taking invega 3mg for a month now and what is your question about it? I can answer it the best i can
Nicole
|

replied August 14th, 2007
I took 3 mg to start of Invega and then was upped to 6 mg. It was a disaster! I was so supremely exhausted that I was falling asleep at my desk. I was then weaned off and put on Haldol for the 1st time. That was even worse. Bad rapid cycling, bad mixed states, high suicidality, etc. Now that I'm off, I've just been plunged into a really bad depression.

Don't take my word for it though! I think I might just have some sort of "allergic" reaction to anti-psychotics...

Good luck!
|

replied August 14th, 2007
On Invega
Hello. I've been on Invega for about a month - a replacement for Risperdal. I started out at 3mg twice a day, then up to about 12 to 15 mg - which was too much. I did notice that if I was feeling down, the Invega worked to bring me up again, and if I was feeling to manic, it brought me down to a more level place.

My doctor just switched my does to 9 mg in the morning, this is with my Lamictyl and Lexapro, and Klonopin for anxiety.

Hopefully this combination will work because I'm so tired of things not working. I've gotten hopeless and really down the past couple of weeks - doubling up on therapy and visits to my pdoc. I'm afraid I won't be able to function at work later this week when I go in.

I wonder if anyone thinks being bipolar is fun? Crying or Very sad
|

replied March 15th, 2010
3mg invega. no sleep. drooling. choking feeling. craving death
first day invega 3mg. for "anxiety." i am still awake (took at night time as suggested) having trouble breathing. like i am being choked. dr wants me to exercise more than the 5 days a week i lift/run. i can barely breathe, not to mention i drool like a fu*^&ng *tard. paid doc without insurance almost 700 today for new depression and expensive drugs i can not afford when they are gone. pdoc couldnt just give me the da*n alprazolam ive been on for ten years.

im going to take my advice and put a bullet in my head. i have never been this depressed.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
INVEGA
My son age 22, having Schizophrenia, took 1 pill Invega 3gm last night. today morning he is having fever. he was taking risperdal 1mg ang diazepam 5mg for the last 2 weeks. Please advice.
Eddy Malaysia
|

replied February 19th, 2012
Be sure to inform your doctor if you find yourself becoming restless after going on Invega. I did and it developed into severe anxiety after taking it for several weeks. I would literally count my breaths to get thru the day. Even after stopping the Invega the anxiety continued for nearly six months.
|

replied June 4th, 2012
INVEGA-bipolar use
This is a bit scary. The side effects are pretty serious. I can't even find comfort in the good reviews on here because no one has been on this med longer than a month. My doctor prescribed this med to me this morning. He told me to split it in half but I couldn't cut through it. It made me wonder if this is the type of medication that should not be cut in half...
I looked up INVEGA on the internet and guess what? It can't! In fact, you're not supposed to! My doctor didn't know that. Is that a bad thing? He is a good doctor but it makes me wonder how much he knows about this med.
Also, isn't this med designed to treat schizophrenia? I know that many meds are used for both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, but I haven't found any literature supporting the use of INVEGA for the treatment of bipolar. In fact, About.com states that it has not been approved for the treatment of bipolar disorder. I don't know how reliable that site is but I could not find any information that supported INVEGA being used in this way.

Most importantly, praisethelowered, PLEASE don't put a bullet in your head!

I caution everyone to be your medication for more than a month before you recommend it to others or rave about it because it takes most meds about a month to really get into your system. I usually give it about a month and a half before I will say if a medication is working or not.
Yikes. People just don't understand what we go through. I commend everyone on this post for taking your medication and communicating with the outside world; it can be so hard to do that sometimes. I am glad I found this site.
|

replied June 4th, 2012
I just now realized how long ago you guys wrote these posts. Is anyone still taking INVEGA?
|

replied June 5th, 2013
GETTING TESTED FOR MTHFR GENE MUTATION...
Hello everyone, I have taken risperdal for twenty years. I am on invega now and it doesn't work at 3mgs for me . I am going back to 3 mgs of risperdal instead of taking 6mgs of invega. Even on 3mgs of risperdal I felt less exhausted on the 3 mgs of invega I am seeing a nature path or holistic type doctor. I read that a lot of bipolar people have a defective gene where they can't metabolize vitamin b's. Some vitamin deficiencies can cause symptoms of schizophrenia. He is also doing a micro nutrient panel on me also. The consultation is free and the blood work is 150 dollars. This might help me to be able to take less medication possibly. I am hoping that I do have the MTHFR gene mutation.. I am bipolar as well and know that certain vitamin deficiencies can cause depression as you probably already know so I am hoping that the nature path can help me. I don't however want to substitute vitamins for medication entirely. My dad might have it to if I
have it. The nature path does blood tests and gives you instructions on what suppliments you need to take. As for any low vitamin level in your blood , you can't take a whole bunch all of the sudden, you need to be given pharmaceudical grade vitamins from your doctor to build your level back up.. I might feel a lot better if this is what this is..I have slight tartive- dyskonesia and my doctor said 5 mgs of meletonin was safe and it also calms my tongue movements down at night..The sedation from the risperdal wears off after taking it for a couple of weeks and the stuffy nose also.The stuffy nose wasn't bad for me on on vega or risperdal either.Good luck all!! and the answers will reveal themselves at some point for all of us at some point for the better... I know that medical science is really targetting this area so there is much hope for medications with no side affects in the near future. ...God bless
|

replied March 18th, 2017
I was told I had schizofrenia and it started since 20 years old. I was taking risperdal (risperidone) for over 10 years around between 3mg and 6mg and switched to Invega on the last year. Risperdal was an ok experience despite exaustion wanting to sleep, increased hunger and weight, and giving me a tic of not being able to put the head back down.

So I switched to Invega and I didn't notice much difference. It still made me hungry and sleepy but the tic went away after a few months. WHen started I was taking 18mg it made me depressed and suicidal so the dosage was pulled down to 12mg. The side effect that I wanted to point out for Invega that I didn't realise until a little reading was eyes burning, red eyes, eyes strain in front of a computer monitor, especially on the android cellphone and even some lamps I have. That made my job of standing in front of a computer all day extremly difficult. Also unkown things I don't know yet is I started getting red stains on my face and my poop is always liquid and usually I poop in the morning.

On a side note Cariful of combining Invega and Valproic Acid. It made me constantly hungry even when full.

I take my medication seriously so I never stopped or miss taking it. I also never done drugs or drink. I'll also stay away from injections because of zombification.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...