Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Schizophrenic Hallucinations and Reality (Page 1)

User Profile
I am trying to research Schizophrenia to see what a Schizophrenic person actually witnesses in their Hallucinations. My neighbor accross the street from me, walks all over town talking, yelling, to thin air. It looks to me as if he thinks he is talking to a croud of 10 people, but he can be inside an empty room and go on forever. What does a Schizophrenic person actually see, witness and experience other then, 1 Hallucinations of voices that are not there, 2, Hallucinations of seeing things that are not there, 3 Hallucinations of smells that are not there, 4 Hallucinations of touch that are not there, 5 Hallucinations of tastes when there is no food in the mouth, other then the 5 sences being twisted into something false to create a Hallucination effect, what does a Schizophrenic person actually live through in that false world that their illness creates? Why do they act it all out? What delusional beliefs do they hold other then "The TV is broadcasting special messages to me" ?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper crazydayz76
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2007
Schizophrenia Answer A2911
Hallucinations are not the main symptoms of schizophrenia. Rather, hallucinations are accessory symptoms present in some forms of schizophrenia. They are usually acoustic but can be also tactile, olfactory or gustative. Hallucinations are usually followed by delusive ideas.
There are 4 main types of schizophrenia: hebephrenic, simplex, catatonic and paranoid. Symptoms that are present in all types of schizophrenia (main symptoms) are:
1. disorders of associations (disturbed thinking processes);
2. lost emotions (apathy, lost ability for joy or sorrow);
3. ambivalence (the presence of two opposing ideas, attitudes, or emotions at the same time), and
4. Autism (a condition where the contact with reality is lost but the consciousness is still present)
Accessory symptoms present only in some types of schizophrenia include:
1. hallucinations;
2. delusive ideas;
3. catatonic symptoms;
4. poor and bizarre speech etc.
Hallucinations and delusive ideas are typical during paranoid schizophrenia. Most people can’t understand a schizophrenic's delusive thoughts because these people live quite literally in their own world.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.