Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

GI tests for bloating / gurgling with loose stools after eat

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile

i am a relatively healthy 48 year old male. Since september, I have experienced stomach bloating and gurgling soon after eating with occasional diarrhea . Those are the primary symptoms. No cramping, no vomiting, no sour stomach/heartburn, no visible blood in stool, no weight loss, etc. Persistent bloating/gurgling with occasional loose stools after eating..That's about it.

Doesn't seem to be related to any particular food (ie lactose intolerance).

Onset of symptoms was sudden. One week I was fine, ever since I have had this problem. Never had a problem of this sort before except for the occasion/infrequent bout of stomach flu. At first, I thought I had consumed some spoiled milk but the symptoms have lasted for 9 months now.

About 3 weeks ago, I finally went to my gp and he diagnosed dyspepsia and put me on 20 mg of omeprazole daily along with acidophillus/lactobacillus capsules which I take several times per day. I started this therapy about 3 weeks ago and symptoms are pretty much the same, perhaps slightly less severe. Prior to going to the gp, I had taken acidophillus as a remedy but not as consistently as I have during the last few weeks. I experienced some slight mitigation of symptoms but the problem never fully went away.

Last week, about 2 weeks after beginning the therapy, I was tested (blood test for antibody) for h pyroli and the test came back in the .35 range; well within the normal range.

Given the sudden onset of symptoms, I believe I probably have some sort of bacterial infection/imbalance in my gut and the bloating/gurgling is a product of that. I suppose it is also possible that I have some sort of amoebic/parasitic infection but I haven't been drinking out of ponds or traveled to india or anything of that nature.

I am getting frustrated and I think my gp is barking up the wrong tree.
If there is a gi specialist on this forum can you please suggest what tests I should have or what you think might be the root cause of my symptoms?

Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2007
Digestive & Bowel Disorders Answer A2899
According to the symptoms you report of experiencing “stomach bloating and gurgling soon after eating with occasional diarrhea” that has lasted for more than 9 months... it is hard to say what the real problem is. Dyspepsia is a general term that means disturbed digestion but without identifying a precise cause. Intestinal infection can be confirmed or excluded by microbiological examination of the stool. A gastroscopy can reveal if there is a disorder of the stomach or duodenum that is causing the symptoms. A colonoscopy is used to explore the large intestines and to find any possible cause for the diarrhea. An abdominal ultrasound is also useful for diagnosing the situation. If everything is OK with these diagnostic tests, the only possibility left for diagnosis would be irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). You can request these procedures and advice from a gastro-intestinal specialist.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.