76%  76%  [ 20 ]
7%  7%  [ 2 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
15%  15%  [ 4 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 26
User Profile
What brings on your headaches? There are many known "triggers" for headaches.

*Stress/Tension/Fatigue-This can be both physical or emotional.

*Hormones-This can happen during menstration as well as before.

*Food/Drink-This can include many things:
~Caffeine-Both in excess or withdrawl.
~Alcohol
~MSG

*Smoking

*Sight/Smell/Noise-This can include many things:
~Bright or flickering lights
~Strong smells both good and bad
~Loud or repetitive sound

*Weather-Some people are effected by many changes in the weather.

Feel free to vote more than once. Often people have multiple triggers. Please include a post describing how these things effect you.

If anyone has experienced some "triggers" other than the one's listed, please feel free to respond with it and I will add it to the options. Wink
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile mc4ever02
|

replied June 10th, 2007
well i guess stress would be the one for me cuz im working from early in the morning till late at night in front of the computer..

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
|

replied June 23rd, 2007
What Causes My Migranes/headaches?
i find alot of things trigger my migranes/headaches, some things are tiredness, light, tv, computer, strong smells like cigarette smoke and the most annoying thing would be when i try to sleep, sometimes i get a migrane, my pillow is either too hard one night, or toosoft another night and i wake up so sick!!!
anyway, just thought i would share!
see you
conrad
|

replied October 25th, 2007
Alot of different things trigger a headache for me as well. I think strong smells and stress are the biggest triggers. I try to not take advil when I get a headache but sometimes they get so bad that I have to! How does everyone here feel about taking something for your headache? Do you try the natural approach? Or just take something? Very Happy
|

replied October 26th, 2007
I have noticed many different things trigger my headaches but in the last few years it has been primarily stress, and as far as medicating I don't like pills so I focus, relax and breath my way through them.
My kids help to distract me when the headaches are mild enough.
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2007
For me it is mainly lack of sleep, stress, and weather changes. We had rain/slush for weeks in a row and since yesterday the temperature dropped and the sky was clear and sunny. I woke up with one nostril plugged up and a pounding migraine! I tried drinking a cup of coffee, taking an Imitrex and got a hot shower but my nausea was already too bad and I threw it all back up... blah!
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Triggers
Like most of us, there are many triggers and knowing your own body chemistry is key but for new sufferers this is valuable info. For me change in weather (low pressure - snow/rain), hormones, many foods like cheese, dark chocolate, red wine, too much sleep, not enough sleep, food combos (eg: beer & pizza), msg, sulphates, tannins, strobe lights, being startled, bright light, majority of perfumes with a spice base like Passion, Red, Obsession, Red, Eternity and of course stress to a certain degree. Wow..... good thing this isn't a dating site or whatever it's called - 'cuz I sure wouldn't wanna date me! lol Hope this helps somebody learning about this.
|

replied April 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Defiantly weather changes. The barometric pressure changes and bam! I get a major migraine. I am convinced some of my migraines are triggered by pollen and allergens in the air. Hormonal triggers were big when I was younger but now that seems to have eased off. Perfumes will trigger a nasty headache so I have been wearing the same scents for over 20 years. Taking claritin has helped with many of my headaches and I am glad to have the relief.
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Community Volunteer
I go get a lot of headaches from the weather and allergies. The dust bowl of KS makes sure of that, especially when they are burning the fields around here. I always keep the air conditioning on or heater on even if the weather is nice to keep out all that junk. But my main one is stress....all these kids and managing this house, it's a headache starter all on it's own.
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I have never been able to figure out exactly where my headaches come from. I thought it was from to much caffiene, but I stopped drinking pop an dthey stayed exactly the same. It's not from no caffiene wither bc when I get just a little bit i still have them. I have headches almost everyday, so i have just kind of learned to live with it. I dont notice them most of the time until i think about it.
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
What are your triggers?
Everything triggers my migraines. My pain is brought on by:

Lights: Bright, strobing or flickering & the computer screen

Sound: Loud piercing noise

Weather: Humidity and heat as well as year round allergies

Just being a woman, that time of the month

Red wine

Stress ~ too much sleep/too little sleep

Even a light tap on the head will bring on an attack

Cigarette smoke

Stuffy nose due to sinus issues

Stress~startled (this is why I don't do roller coasters anymore lol)

I'm pretty much a text book case. I eat excedrine like candy. I also started taking pepto to help with the nausea but if I don't catch the migraine early, I can forget it. I will not find relief until I throw up, ugghh the pain is so awful, it feels as if I'm having brain surgery while awake!
|

replied February 8th, 2009
Headache when sleeping..
My fiancee has been plagued with horrible headaches that wake him from sleep for the past few months. This has me so worried as he refuses to see a doctor. He's one of those macho men who thinks he's beyond illness. Has never missed a day of work in 20 years and refuses to admit when he is sick. These headaches only occur after he sleeps and are more times than not located at the base of his skull. Last night he woke up with the pain in the very top of his head and around the upper part of his eyes. Any ideas of what this could be? Could it be something more serious than what he wants to admit? What can I do??? Please help..
|

replied February 16th, 2009
Remember that migraine headache can be a result och many normal tensions: It could be chronic lower back pain, or a back pain from every day activites like work and sports. Remember that you can treat all of these in some way to make your life more valuable and worth living. It all boils down on choosing the right method and never give up. I myself know a lot of people who stress every day, and giving them som advice really helped. Relief from constant headaches is something you will value a lot if you suffer from them chronically.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Headaches are a strange thing
I can bring a headache on if I get on the computer when I am a bit tired (straight after waking up usually).

I have two types of headaches.

1. The paracetamol headache. This headache is the most common one I think most people experience. I can tell if its one of these types by shaking my head. If it hurts all over, its one of these. It "usually" goes away with a couple of Panadol.

Usually its a result from a big night before or flu.

2. The asprin (migraine) headache. This feels just like the above type headache when still, but if I shake my head, it doesn't make it any worse. If I jump up and down however, I can feel the area in my head quite precisely. I don't know why this is. It usually is in a different spot each time I get one of these. It also usually hurts above my eyes when I roll them around and can make me a little dizzy. Usually only asprin or other type of anti-inflammatory drug will get rid of these nasties.

This is usually brought on by sitting too long on a computer combined with poor sleep and not drinking enough water.

But also, my vertebrae plays a big role in my headaches. Bad posture which is a result of the poor sleep and the sitting on a computer too long. I found treatment from a chiropractor (even just a home massage from the wife) eased the headaches almost immediately. There is a lot to be said about that.

SO what to do? Well I recently quit my office job mainly because of this. I am now in a more physical job which doesn't require me to be on a computer in a (supposedly) ergonomic chair all day. I still get headaches now and then but I feel much better for the change.

Hope this helps!
Alan
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....