Are there side effects to a baby when the mother has polio when she is pregnate with that child?

My father's mother had polio when she was pregnate with him and when he was an adult he had problems with the muscles in his upper arms being under developed and the same with his legs. He also had a sunking in chest region.

My father died when I was young, and my mother only told me that his condition was from his mother having polio when she was pregnate with him. But she doen't know what it was.

If any one know anything about what I have described can you please respond to me and let me know what I might have been. I do not know if the condition that he had can be passed on genetically.

Thank you,
melissa
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper walknroll
|

replied October 8th, 2005
My father has polio he had 3 children me and my two brothers we was not born with polio or have never had a syptom or anything, before my mother got pregnent with me she asked the doctors if there was a chance I could get polio and he said that it was a slim chance.
|

replied March 4th, 2009
But your father had polio, mothers share everything with their children thought their blood stream including infections, alcohol and disease. Some are passed through genetics but not polio, polio you can catch so if the father did have and didn't give it to the mother then the children would be fine. But if the mother has it during the first trimester when the fetus is most vulnerable then there COULD be birth defects.
|

replied July 25th, 2009
My mother had polio the year before I was born, I was wondering if that would have any effect on me at all.I get muscle pain in my upper legs alot.
|

replied May 12th, 2010
polio desease
hi,im 22 years old lady.and im a polio patient.and now im getting to marry,before that i want to know whether i can carry a child ,and that child have any problem cos of my polio deseases?
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
I see you asked your question over a year ago. I had Polio through out body. I successfully carried my son for 37 weeks & then he was delivered by cesarean. My pelvis
Is deformed due to having polio as a baby. My son was & is healthy and happy, he is 32 now.
|

replied February 7th, 2012
hello I am a mother of three lovely kids my oldest child is 8years old and 6 and 1 years I have polio in my right leg and all my kid are healthy without polio thank god pray to god he will protect you and you child .
|

replied February 7th, 2012
I also carried all my kids full terms with out any cesaren section
|
Quick Reply