Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease Forum

Ankles and achilles tendon : ALS / Lou Gehrig Disease ?

User Profile
Is there anything you can recommend? I know ALS is typical for people between 40-70, but what I'm feeling is ridiculous and makes no sense. What other possible diagnosis is there?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2007
ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease Answer A2889
You wrote: "Current medical status: I'm very confused, for around 4 years I've had problems with my ankles and achilles tendon. After exercise I'd have severe pain and at that point I stopped playing all sports. (Possibly unrelated considering this effects both my ankles, before this happened I fractured my tibia in my left leg.) Recently the pain has increased in both of my ankles, as well moved to my knees. My knees now hurt consistantly and have occassional spasms when I don't have weight on them. In school we had a teacher give a speach about ALS, and it scared me, it seemed that his story is what I'm starting to go through (except that he was 51, and I'm 17...) I've had x-rays done, which showed nothing. I have yet to get an MRI, although I'm planning that. I go to a chiropractor (They're not recognized as actual medicine, but he helps more than any real doctor has!). Because of how my ankles and knees have progressed, I no longer participate in gym, even though I have a ! strong desire to. This is not normal and I don't know what to think now."

Your age (17) and symptoms (joint pain) do not support the possibility of a Lou Gehrig Disease diagnosis. Lou Gehrig Disease, or Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), is a progressive, fatal neuro-degenerative disease caused by degeneration of central and peripheral motor neurons. Pain is not present during ALS; rather a person with ALS experiences muscle weakness, atrophy and difficulties in walking, swallowing, speaking and any other voluntary muscle activity. Pain in the ankles and knees could be due to many disorders: injuries, rheumatic disorders, degenerative disorders (osteoarthritis), static disorders of the skeleton etc.
You can consult an orthopedist for proper diagnostics and treatment.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.