Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Myectomy for Fibroids , Endometriosis , and spotting between

Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
User Profile
I have been trying for a baby for 4 years and I was recently diagnosed with Fibriods and endometriosis following a lot of test and investigations. Although I had this condition I never really go any severe symptoms until 6 months ago when I started spotting/bleeding between my periods (which occurr every 26-27 days). I had myectomy to remove the Fibroids and a incision to remove the endometriosis. This was done 4 weeks ago. I thought the bleeding would stop, however I am half way through my 2nd cycle since my operation and the bleeding is still happening. My doctor thinks it might be hormonal and I am worried that this might be the onset of menopause or something more sinister. Pls advise

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2007
Getting Pregnant Answer A2886
You wrote: "Current medical status: fibroids removed recently (myectomy), endometriosis removed - 3 weeks ago however intra menstrual bleeding still occuring 10 -14 days in to menstraul cycle, bleeding last for 2-3 days is quite light"

Endometriosis is a disorder wherein tissue with the same structure and function as the uterus’s mucosa (endometrium) is found in locations other than the uterus. Endometriosis is usually located on/in the genital organs (92%) and more rarely outside the genitals (8%). Endometriosis that is located on/in the genitals can be internal and/or external. Internal genital endometriosis is most often located in the uterus (adenomyosis) and rarely in the tubes. External genital endometriosis is located on the ovaries, pelvic peritoneum and cervix. Endometriosis outside the genitals is a rare condition and can be located in the bladder, lungs, intestines, nose etc. You didn’t tell me the precise location of your endometriosis.... but I suppose that the condition has been located in the uterus.

Endometriosis that is located in the uterus (adenomyosis) manifests with painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea) and a larger amount of bleeding during menstruation (hypermenorrhea). External genital endometriosis manifests with dysmenorrhea, pain in the lower abdomen between periods, irregular cycles and sterility. Sterility is not that typical in cases of adenomiosis as it is in cases of endometriosis located in the tubes, ovaries or pelvic peritoneum. But in your case, endometriosis is complicated with fibroids (fibromyomatosis) and that is probably the main reason for the sterility.

Endometriosis is treated with drugs and surgical intervention. Surgical treatment is indicated in cases of adenomyosis compounded with fibromyomatosis.

I am not sure if the vaginal bleeding you are experiencing is hormonal (functional) or organic in nature. If the blood is due to some hormonal dysbalance (functional bleeding) it can be stopped if you start taking contraceptive pills. Organic bleeding does not stop when taking contraceptive pills. Nonetheless, you should consult some gynecologist about the spotting...immediately!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Getting Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.