Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Epilepsy medications + conception and pregnancy

User Profile
I am married for four months. I afride to take tegretol now since it will affect conception or my unnoticed pregnancy. If I delay the tretement for a year, is these waves affect my activity? What are the complicatioons arise due to untreted sharp waves? Please help me to have a clear cut idea about child bearing and treatement.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2007
Epilepsy Answer A2840
You wrote: "List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: I got Partial seizures involving my right side of the body. Mainly I was haviing twitichiing of fingers in 10-11 yrs of life. I Have taken T.Tegretol 100mg for two years. My Physician told me that I can stop the course since I was not had any signs or symptoms.

Current medical status: For tthe past two years I was having moderate to severe headache originating from temporal lobe.So I consulted the Physician again two weeks before.As per my physician advice I have taken EEG.It showed I Have sharp waves originating mostly from left temporal lobe. In addidition I have alpa waves in 9-11hz frequency."

Women who have epilepsy and become pregnant develop a higher risk for complications than women who don't have epilepsy. These complications include the possibility that seizures may occur more often. Although most women who have epilepsy have healthy babies, there are also some risks here, too. Babies of mothers with epilepsy have the risk of being stillborn, having an early birth, experiencing delays in development and growth, as well as the possibility of birth defects caused by the medicine used to treat epilepsy. However, the risks of not taking the medicine are higher for the baby, including physical injury and development delay. It is possible that there be changes in the dosage of the medicine you take, in consultation with your gynecologist and current doctor.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.