Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

101 Breastfeeding Questions !!!

User Profile
I never breastfed my other boys but this time round I really want to give it a go. I have been reading up on loads of stuff and its just made me so confused! I have read loads of FAQ too but no-one asks the questions I want to know lol... I dont know maybe I am going to make myself seem really thick.. but be kind!!!!!

Start off, this is going to sound abit stupid, whenever I get pregnant my bb's get huge! and because this is the third time its happening gravity is slowy taking hold and my bb's are getting floppy!! lol!! Wink (It happens to us all eventually!) Can this affect breastfeeding?? Also I think my bb's are so big how do you feed without suffocating the poor child!! Shocked Smile

Next everything I read tells you to feed off one breast untill its empty and then offer the other, well how do you know when its empty?? Is it as obvious as the baby will just scream??

Oh and when I was pregnant the last 2 times I started to leak colostrum really early something like 19 weeks and I had loads of it (midwife told me I would have been a great breastfeeder!!) This time round though I started leaking a little at like 28 weeks but it was just a tiny bit, and its hardly done it since. Believe me this is a huge difference to what it was like before. Is it normal just to leak a tiny bit or does this mean I am not going to have anything to feed with???

I know these questions seem really stupid but they are really bugging me!! I didnt want to ask the midwife because I didnt want to sound like a plank!! Smile please help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Laura will be able to give loads of awesome advice on breastfeeding.
But nope, floppy boobies do not hinder breastfeeding.

Also you won't smother baby because you use one hand to hold your breast.

At your hospital there will be a lactation consultant who will be good to talk to as well.
This person will be able to spend some time with you during the first couple days after you give birth and give you encouragment and also show you different "holds" of the baby and positions to use to find one that suits you and this baby.
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
thanks kia! I have to go to a hospital 20 miles away to give birth and hopefully I can be moved back to my local hospital after baby is here. I know my local hosp has excellent care when it comes to breastfeeding and I know I will get the help I need. Its just the other bigger hosp I am worried about!! I am going to have to stay there for the first 24 hours at least and I dont think they are so good with the advice! I just dont want to be put off right at the beginning!
|

replied May 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Great questions!!!

link

That is a great website with wonderful information to help you with breastfeeding. I'm glad you are going to give it a go with this baby! It is truly one of the most wonderful experiences, and an excellent choice for your baby.

If you think your boobs are a bit saggy, put a rolled receiving blanket under your breast to lift it up. When you are nursing you hold the baby with one arm and hold the breast with the free hand.

When the breast is empty your baby will stop or you will hear that he isn't swallowing anymore. Eventually when you get into it for a bit, you'll know how long it takes for them to empty. You will have plenty of colostrom to feed your baby!

Good luck
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
thanks for the link and for the advice! I am glad I asked now! Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Hi sweetie! I've been breastfeeding my daughter .Alyvia for almost 10 months now, so I think I can help you out a bit.

When your milk comes in, you'll notice a significant change in your breasts. You'll know when they're full and when they're empty. And when your baby is nursing, you'll feel them start to empty. An empty breast feels pretty much like your breast feels now - soft and squishy. A breast with milk in it feels firmer (and actually hard if you're engorged).

On top of that, you'll be able to tell by how your baby is nursing. At the start of a feed, your baby will be sucking vigorously. When your milk comes down, the sucking will slow a bit and your child will be swallowing inbetween sucks.

I wouldn't worry about colostrum right now. Your body will produce plenty of it when your baby is born.

If you have any other questions, just let me know! Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Supporter
I'm glad you posted about the breast size question because even though i know breast size doesn't effect nursing i still worry because mine are the same size as a newborn Laughing
|

replied May 29th, 2007
Experienced User
another great site is http://breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_vid eo.html

its helped me learn before i had my son.. unfortunately i had a lot of engorgement and pain the first week. once i seen the lactation consultant and got nipple sheilds i used for two weeks it was gun hoe from there! now its great im so glad i stuck it out.. my god the benefits are phenominal!

i wish you the best!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
Hi sweetie! I've been breastfeeding my daughter .Alyvia for almost 10 months now, so I think I can help you out a bit.

When your milk comes in, you'll notice a significant change in your breasts. You'll know when they're full and when they're empty. And when your baby is nursing, you'll feel them start to empty. An empty breast feels pretty much like your breast feels now - soft and squishy. A breast with milk in it feels firmer (and actually hard if you're engorged).

On top of that, you'll be able to tell by how your baby is nursing. At the start of a feed, your baby will be sucking vigorously. When your milk comes down, the sucking will slow a bit and your child will be swallowing inbetween sucks.

I wouldn't worry about colostrum right now. Your body will produce plenty of it when your baby is born.

If you have any other questions, just let me know! Smile

thanks so much for the help sorry I haven't replied sooner but I was sick yest Sad. Anyways as I go along I might take you up on your offer of more answers!!!

Thanks to everyone who has replied! You have all helped me feel more confident on breast feeding. I was begining to wonder if I would bother doing it, but I will definitely give it a go now! Smile
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....