Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Insomnia And Sleep Paralysis. Someone Please Help Me. :(

so.. for the past few years i've been experiencing sleep paralysis. it doesnt occur so much when i'm in school during the normal part of the year. i keep myself pretty active, and i make sure i'm sleeping at least somewhat early for a college student. however, it seems like anytime there are finals or midterms and my sleep schedule gets all messed up, it takes me forever to get back on schedule...
last summer i had this same problem, but this summer is even worse. its my second summer home from college, and i'm going to be transferring to another school closer to home. i've got a lot going on, and i'm pretty sure my sleep schedule is still screwed up from the beginning of the month when i was finishing up finals.
i havent gone to bed before 1 this month, and its rare that i go to bed before 3am.. the latest i've gone to bed has been 5:30 am, and whenever i think about going to bed early, i always find some reason to procrastinate-- as if its some horrible task. so, i sit online until i can get sleepy enough to pass out.

this causes a HUGE problem for me.. because i also have sleep paralysis. i usually get it a few times a month in school, but lately its been almost every night. i know its because of the insomnia, and i dont want to go to some doctor just so he can tell me that i need to sleep better.. i know what i have to do, i just dont know HOW to break this horrible cycle...

someone please help me. Crying or Very sad Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 1st, 2007
When the sleep paralysis comes what do you do? Do you relax and go with it or panic and try to move and get up? I have only had it about 4 times.
|

replied June 1st, 2007
NightBat wrote:
When the sleep paralysis comes what do you do? Do you relax and go with it or panic and try to move and get up? I have only had it about 4 times.

well, when i first started getting SP i had no idea what it was, so i would freak out and try to get up. what was weird was that i felt like i was actually waking up and moving around, until i realize that i'm still laying in bed paralyzed.. maybe that was one of those out-of-body experiences people talk about? im not sure.. but now that i've gotten used to what it's like, i find its best not to freak out, at least in my experience. its usually better if i just calm my breathing and try to think about something that would make me wake up. as silly as it may sound, i think things like "oh wow, what a nice room you have. is the sun out today? are your nails painted?" or something little like that, because ive found that little things like that, and trying to move little body parts like fingers, really helps me to snap out of it.

as for the insomnia and all that. i still have no idea what's up with that. :\

but the SP.. unless you're feeling adventurous with it, i'd say stick with being calm. it helps it mellow out a little.

Smile
hope that helped. <3
|

replied September 26th, 2007
I get SP, does it make a difference if u freak out or if u stay calm?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
i have experienced sp for quite some time now. it wasn't until recently that i discovered that i even had it. i actually thought that my bedroom was haunted by this entity when only my side of the bed would shake. i would wake my husband for him to say that it was just me. then here recently, he experienced the same thing. and he finally told me i wasn't out of my mind Smile today i was watching silvia brown and she had mentioned this whole sp thing, so i thought i'd check it out for myself in this forum. and it was quite interesting to read how i'm not alone in this. i think to answer the question to whether freak out or stay calm, while experiencing sp, i don't believe that there is a possibility that you can be harmed during the whole thing, but if it is, please inform me/us if so Smile plz feel free to give me your input on the whole thing, as it frightens me as well. possibly because i'm afraid of things that i don't understand.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
another thing that i forgot to add is that one night when my husband awoke in the middle of the night, he rolled over to look at me and my body was laying down, but i was sitting up in a spiritual form, does anyone think that it has something to do with sp?
|

Thats odd coz i also thought that maybe i was possessed by some sort of spirit or something ridiculous. Now i know what it is. I was telling somebody about it today who said his daughter sometimes lies there with her eyes open but he talks to her and she doesnt respond then just goes back to sleep. He also said, that she, like you, was once sitting upright in her bed but then lay back down to sleep again afterwards, so maybe if she has sp too then sitting up is part of sp
|

User Profile
Experienced User
the wierd thing about it was, my body was laying down, but my "spirit" i guess you could say was sitting up Smile it was almost hard to believe when he told me about it. myself was waiting for scratching on the walls, or my bed shaking uncontrollably, they say that's what happens when there is a spirit trying to possess someone. but i don't think this is the case at all Smile
|

Oh what happens when a spirit is trying to possess someone? that interests me too haha

Yeah i totally relate to that coz the weird thing is when it was happening to me i was standing on the bed but of course i actually wasnt
|

User Profile
Experienced User
i don't think that possession is a posibility these days, but i guess people don't rule it out Smile we see it in movies and such, but in real life i have never seen it Smile it's nothing that i would worry about, although i think i do anyway haha it's something that i would maybe say to google? but don't scare yourself, it's very very rare if it happens at all
|

oh no i dont think its happening to me, after reading im certain i have sleep paralysis. But the possession thing interests me, ill google it Smile thanks
|

User Profile
Experienced User
np anytime, let me know what you come up with if you like Smile
|

replied September 27th, 2007
Well its not unheard of but its very rare and a bit far fetched lol, ive definately got sleep paralysis, im not possessed or anything haha

Also found out lots of other stuff, like proof of the afterlife and evidence of ghosts.............

did u know ghosts can commit suicide? lol
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2007
Experienced User
what?? LOL that is the funniest thing i've read in a while! how is that possible? i know we''re getting off track here Smile but this is getting interesting now! HAHA
|

replied September 29th, 2007
haha well apparantly ghosts are people who have died but not yet passed onto the afterlife, and they wanna be alive again which is why they linger to try and live through another persons body. Like possess someone.......... they get so depressed about wanting to be alive again and do the things they used to that in the end when they realise they cant they kill themselves................. i know this is a bit like "WHAT??? lol but this is just what i read from looking it up lol
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2007
Experienced User
i kind of followed it LOL but it makes sense at the same time Smile
|