Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Drinking And Smoking After a Stroke - Effects ?

my mom went into the hospital last week and they removed 2 clots. a couple days ago she had another surgery and during that she had a little stroke. they did not know if she would be paralyzed (sp) but thankfully she is not. her speach is effected a little. she is an alcoholic and my aunt and i fought because she did not want me to say anything. she is out of the hospital now and went to my aunts house. i know she is letting her drink and smoke cigs. i am so upset because she had the stroke a few days ago and she is not healed. does anyone know the side effects from drinking or smoking after a stroke? i know it cant be good. i have been fighting with my aunt for many years about my mom and her drinking. she knows she is an alcoholic but does not do a thing. i am so scared. she has to follow up with the dr in about a week. please help me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 12th, 2009
Drinking and smoking after a stroke?
My mom also had a stroke, in November. She has since been drinking a lot more than she used to. And smoking! She fell down the stairs a few weeks ago and I found out from an uncle, not even my own mother or father, that she had another stroke. I did notice some changes since she fell down the stairs, but i never thought of her having another stroke. Did you find out any information on the effects?
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....