Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

NuvaRing + unprotected sex 5 days after my period ... chance

User Profile
I just started using the Nuvaring. I inserted it on the first day of my period which was May 20th. The instructions say to wait 7 days before attempting unprotected sex after the first time of insertion but I had unprotected sex last night (May 25th) and my partener ejaculated in me.
Should I be worried? Its been less than 5 days since my period started (however I stopped bleeding on the 23rd). And its been around 5 days since Ive had the ring in me.

What are my chances of getting pregnant? And should I consider taking the Morning After Pill?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2007
Fertility Answer A2847
The chances of you getting pregnant are very small because you had sex on a day which is not considered a fertile day in the menstrual cycle. The fertile days are the days around ovulation. Ovulation usually occurs about 14 days before your next period comes. For most women with a 28 day cycle, ovulation happens in the middle of the cycle. The first 7 days of the menstrual cycle are usually the days of menstruation and are considered safe days for having unprotected sex... but only if your cycle is 21 days or longer. In the case that a woman's menstrual period if shorter than 21 days, she will most likely ovulate 7 days after menstruation begins.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.