Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Breastfeeding With Teeth ? (Page 1)

User Profile
Okay, ow. Shocked

.Alyvia has two bottom teeth now, and my nipples are on fire. I'm not sure if she's just accidently brushing her teeth across them when she nurses or if she's actively gnawing on them, but... they haven't hurt this much since we first started!

I'm sure she isn't doing it to be mean or that she thinks it's funny - yet. I'm just wondering if this is a sign that I should start to wean her off the boob and onto the bottle, or if I should wait it out until she really starts to rip them off.

I'm not going to wean her unless it becomes unbearable. I handled sore nipples before and overcame it, and .I'm so glad I did. But I could use some advice! Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Supporter
ouch i can only immagtion... i think i'd wean her before it gets unbearable... i kno someone whose daugher bit her nipple, she had to get stiches and breast feed till she healed or something would have happend to her nipple Shocked
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I went to a La Leche League meeting (which was a nightmare, but that could definetely be another post) and the women there (boob nazi's) said that it is physically impossible for a baby to bite your nipple while she is actually feeding. According to them she can get you on the latch and after she's done, so when you know she's finishing up, get her off there.

My sister stopped when her boys got teeth, because they would bite and then laugh when she flinched.

I'm not sure what these women do that nurse until a kid is 5? They must have nipples of steel.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Not sure if .I'll be much help or not. Noah is still nursing 2-3 times per day. His top two teeth just poked through this week and he has had his bottom two for about 2 months or a little less then that. I haven't been able to tell a difference at all with him having teeth except for the very few times he has bit down...if she was biting you, you would definitely know it. It hurts! Exclamation She may just be brushing her teeth against you by mistake. Are you pumping at all now? I didn't pump at all until .Noah started on cereal. Now .I just pump enough for his cereal for the day. (I pump as soon as .I get up). When .I started pumping, .I got sore from that.

This probably wasn't too much help...just giving you my experience. If she does bite you, .I was told you should scream loud enough to startle the baby, however .I really don't agree with that. I just said .No in a fairly loud and stern voice and that worked for him. Wink
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Mommy35 wrote:
I went to a La Leche League meeting (which was a nightmare, but that could definetely be another post) and the women there (boob nazi's) said that it is physically impossible for a baby to bite your nipple while she is actually feeding. According to them she can get you on the latch and after she's done, so when you know she's finishing up, get her off there.

My sister stopped when her boys got teeth, because they would bite and then laugh when she flinched.

I'm not sure what these women do that nurse until a kid is 5? They must have nipples of steel.

well .I'm not sure what they're smoking, but .I've been breastfeeding for nine and a half months now, and my nipples just to happen to feel like they're falling off when my daughter develops 2 teeth. Neutral so there's something to do with nipples and teeth that my boobs don't agree with
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
Mommy35 wrote:

well .I'm not sure what they're smoking, but .I've been breastfeeding for nine and a half months now, and my nipples just to happen to feel like they're falling off when my daughter develops 2 teeth. Neutral so there's something to do with nipples and teeth that my boobs don't agree with

Oh, I'm 100% sure teeth and nipples are not a good match. I think they do more than just smoke before those meetings Laughing
Maybe they need to toughen up like they did when you first started nursing? I hope it gets better.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Supporter
Ouch that sounds so bad! My mum always goes on about breastfeeding me for nine months.. & apparently the second time I bit her that was the end of it. Apparently I giggled evilly when I did it too. Muahaha.

I think if it gets worse it's time to get her onto the bottle.. Good on you for not giving up straight away though!
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Steph: she bit me once when she was done, and it felt like lightning! Holy...! Shocked .I let out a yell! Not on purpose to scare her of course, but it startled me and it incredibly' hurt! She popped off my boob with a Shocked look and I apologized to her, but I didn't put her back on! I was like "okay enough boobs for you" Sad

*sigh* they're so sore... Sad maybe it's time to break out the lansinoh again?
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
Steph: she bit me once when she was done, and it felt like lightning! Holy...! Shocked .I let out a yell! Not on purpose to scare her of course, but it startled me and it incredibly' hurt! She popped off my boob with a Shocked look and I apologized to her, but I didn't put her back on! I was like "okay enough boobs for you" Sad

*sigh* they're so sore... Sad maybe it's time to break out the lansinoh again?

I noticed that the times he has bitten me (it was only 2-3 times and it was weeks apart) he was done eating. I jumped too and said ".N.O." I was like, "if you're gonna make a habit of this, no more boobies for you!" If it would become more frequent, .I think .I would stop. Try the lansinoh again. Also, .I used plain vasoline, which helped too. When .I first started to pump, .I actually had a blister for a few days. That killed! Not only when .I pumped but also when he nursed. The vasoline really did help. I put a lot on each side and then just washed it off before it was time for him to eat again.

*Edit* forgot to ask:
How many times is she nursing each day? Are you planning on nursing her right to a sippy cup or were you planning on giving a bottle in between?
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Ouch!
Well, maybe it would be best to start weaning her onto a bottle soon before it does get unbearable. Because it may take her awhile to take to a bottle, so maybe it's easier to it before it becomes a bigger owie? Just my opinion.
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Shocked ouch!
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
She still nurses on demand, probably 4 or 5 times during the day. She nurses off and on at night too. We also give her rice & oatmeal cereal mixed with stage 2 fruits, we're trying other stage 2 foods (like mac & cheese, although it looks and smells like vomit) and table foods.

I don't pump. It takes me a ridiculous amount of time to get anything out. My boobs are pump-shy Sad so I just make her cereal with water.

Thanks .Mandi! I'll keep that in mind. We have a few bottles purchased before she was born, and an unopened can of formula that I kept "just in case".
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
if shes made it this far with the boob y would she need a bottle? they make sippys for 6mo+ if it were me i would start to wean her to a cup not a bottle because most docs say babies should be off a bottle by 1 and thats only 2 months away for her, you wouldnt want to have to wean her again so quickly it could confuse her.

it reminds me of this girl whos pics i took for her 4th bday and she was walking around with a bottle and i was like o i think she took that from that baby and the mom goes no thats hers Shocked

o and my aunt lily breastfeed one kid til 3 and as far as i know is still breatfeeding the one who is about to turn 3
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Supporter
I remember when the boys use to bite and pull OUCH!!!!!!

You are one brave soul Laura Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Thanks .Dani. We have a couple of sippy cups, but .Alyvia still doesn't really know how to use them. She'll play with them and throw them on the floor, or she'll chew on the spout rather than suck on it. We literally have to take the little no-drip plug out and tip some water into her mouth for her to get anything. She really won't suck on it. I'm not sure if it's because she didn't have practice with bottles or what. I'm going to keep trying with her, though.

Michelle: haha thanks! I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing. Sad
|

replied May 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know what type of sippy cups you have, but there are some out there called nuby. They have a soft spout on them. Those might be easier for her to get used to at first. When we were trying to wean my stepdaughter off of the bottle, she hated the hard spouted sippies, so we got her a few of the nuby's. They worked for a while...until she started chewing the spouts off of them; then she went to the hard spouted ones just fine.
|

replied May 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
ahh it makes me so mad to see kids over 14 months with a bottle (and i say 14 months cause that gives you 2 extra months to wean even after what your suppose to)
I just think of their poor teeth! It just ruins them..
|

replied May 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
vanessalouanne wrote:
ahh it makes me so mad to see kids over 14 months with a bottle (and i say 14 months cause that gives you 2 extra months to wean even after what your suppose to)
I just think of their poor teeth! It just ruins them..

I know what you mean. My stepdaughter was a little over 2 years old before she was completely off the bottle. But, she lives with her mother and is only with us every other weekend; so it was pointless for us to try and wean her off when her mother would just give it back to her when she got home.
|

replied May 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
ya shes right nubys are really good those are liams favorites and they are cheap at walmart.

you know what really gets me? kids over 2 with pacis! especially ones that talk fluently and talk thru it Evil or Very Mad
|

replied May 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
finn loves the nuby cups too!
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....