Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

When Did You Start Feeding Your Child With a Spoon ?

My doctor suggested 4 months. I started today. 12 days early doesnt make a difference in my book because I did everything else early with her. I gave her a bite from a spoon before but she tried to suck it. lol Today She seems to like it like that but doesnt know not to use her tounge so much. I feed her all of her food that way. Took awhile but I stuck to it. Im just curious...

How long did it take your child to get use to the spoon?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
4 months, she was a pro from the start
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
jessesgirl wrote:
4 months, she was a pro from the start

maybe I did start to early. she uses her tounge alot so it pushs some food back out. She didnt suck on it today like she did when I gave her her first 2 bites off a spoon last week.

do you think I should keep working with her or just wait?
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Oni was 3 weeks when we started feeding her cereal with a spoon. Her Dr. refused for us to put it in her bottle. What a *mess*!!!!!!

We started solid foods with a spoon at 5 weeks..but I overfed her and decided to wait a couple more weeks.

She was a pro by 2 months! And we eventually started puttin the cereal in her bottle(at about 3 1/2, 4 months)

Sarah
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
Oni was 3 weeks when we started feeding her cereal with a spoon. Her Dr. refused for us to put it in her bottle. What a *mess*!!!!!!

We started solid foods with a spoon at 5 weeks..but I overfed her and decided to wait a couple more weeks.

She was a pro by 2 months! And we eventually started puttin the cereal in her bottle(at about 3 1/2, 4 months)

Sarah

I always put her cereal in a bottle unless I want to make it real thick and then I put it in a feeder mixed with fruit.
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
The reason her Dr didn't approve of that was because it's a choking hazard.

As many times, when you add cereal, you have to make the hole in the nipple bigger.

That's the only reason I waited until she was almost 4 months to start that.

Sarah
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
if she's pushing it back out i'd say she's not ready yet. why are you starting her on solids so early? (i'm just wondering, i'm absolutely not trying to start anything!)
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:
The reason her Dr didn't approve of that was because it's a choking hazard.

As many times, when you add cereal, you have to make the hole in the nipple bigger.

That's the only reason I waited until she was almost 4 months to start that.

Sarah

thats true.Luckly She hasnt choke on anything but her milk. thats when she was a newborn tho.
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
IHeartMyBostonTerrier wrote:
if she's pushing it back out i'd say she's not ready yet. why are you starting her on solids so early? (i'm just wondering, i'm absolutely not trying to start anything!)

Shes been on baby food before she was 3months. Nothing was curing her appitite. Th only thing she has tased of thats wasnt baby foods was my yogurt pop and i smear fresh strawberry on her binky.

Im feeding her baby food with a spoon not grown up food.

i know your not strting anything Wink
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
the american academy of pediatrics recommends nothing but breastmilk for the first 6 months. I started Bri on 2 tbs cereal with 2 tbs brestmilk at 5 months and she is 6 months now so she eats 3 meals of organic fruits and vegetables a day with breastmilk in between and at night. Smile but whatever you do will be good for you and your baby Smile
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Im not trying to start an arguement Im just going to voice my opinion. Smile

Some people follow by "the book" or what ever. But in my case I wont. Thankfully I have a peditrician that understood where I was coming from because she has a child of own. she knows not every child will fill up with just milk because she experienced t with hers. Amelia was getting way more formula in a day than she needed. She was eating every 2 hours anywhere from 4-6 oz at a time. So I put her on cereal before I even asked her ped. I then told her and she said I done the right thing because not only was it not fulfilling her tummy but she was getting way too much milk in her tummy a day causing her to vomit alot. Babies like Mel is proof that all babies are not alike and cant just follow by whatever the american academy of Ped say.

Its not like I took her completely off her milk, she still gets 5 bottles of milk a day. And the baby food was to help her out throught the day so I wouldnt have to give her cereal all day. Because She gained 2lbs in 1 week the first week I put her on it. and I only put it in everyother bottle of hers.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i tried jordynne with rice ceral at 3 mths, she did ok, closer to the 4 mths i gave her baby food, she would eat a whole jar at one time, but after a few weeks she kinda wanted nothing to do with it so i stopped for a couple weeks and now giviing it to her again and shes eating it just fine, more ends up in her mouth then on her wich suprised me. If they seem not ready id stop for acouple weeks then try again. jordynne is 5 mths old now, her pediatrician never even asks about baby food etc, and the lady at the wic office has 4 kids and shes laid back etc so she doesnt jump down your throat, we know when our childs ready for something or not. And way back when there wasnt abook to tell us what age we do what, parents figured it out on there own and did it at there babies pace. Ive read sites that say that the 6 mths is just a guesstimation on average, not every kid is gonna be within those guidelines.
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i replied but i never answered the question!

finn is an eater and he took to the spoon immediately! he actually does better if his food is thicker, so i mix his cereal so it's hearty and not runny.

we started solids at 5 months. i started by giving him rice cereal mixed with a 1/2 stage 1 (of fruit or veg, i didn't do that "give him veg first so he doesn't get a sweet tooth" crap). for about a week i only gave it to him at lunch, then i started giving him 1/2 container (no cereal) at dinner.

by 6 months (and this is what we do now), he has oatmeal mixed with 1/2 stage 2 fruit at lunch and 1 container of veg at dinner. he also gets 4 6oz bottles a day. i'm really afraid of overfeeding him so we've been on this schedule for a while. i think he's doing well but we don't go to the doctor until next week.

well, i got carried away. this wasn't really what you were asking. oh well!
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Geneva had a hard time figuring out what the spoon thingy was for. We started her on home made rice cereal at about 7 months old. It took her quite a while. Hannah on the other hand started grabbing our plates when she was five months old and screaming at us while she watched us eat. She took to it right away and would actually grab the spoon and jam it into her mouth. Each kid is different and I think parents have to follow their heart. "The Book" represents an average, but every kid has different needs. Sometimes I think those parenting books should be chucked in the trash. My advice to you is just keep offering it to your child and follow their lead. They will eat when they are ready.

Good Luck!
|
Tags: parenting, food
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....