Hi everyone. I just joined this site. As you can see, I wanted to get some advice from other people. My boyfriend is an alcoholic. I can't talk to anyone because all his friends drink too. I have been with him for about a year now. He has been to rehab before for drugs. He has a very addictive personality. When I met him, he drank but not every single day. Now, everyday after work, he HAS to have a beer he says. Every time I try to talk to him about it, he just tells me that I am being a !**@!. I am always driving him around because he is drinking. He just got a car, and I am really scared he is going to drink and drive. I have tried so hard to just bite my tongue when he picks up a bottle of whiskey, but I can't take it anymore. It seems like he isnt happy until he drinks. I know that he is an alcoholic. And he admits that he is. But he says it in a way that he thinks it is funny and that he doesn't care. I don't think that he sees that it is a disease. I want to help him so much and I try every day, but he just yells at me. He really is a good person and he has done everything for me and I just want him to stop. Is there any way possible that I could help him? Thanks for everyone who responds
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 14th, 2007
The best way you can help HIM is by helping YOURSELF. The best way to do that is to dump him immediately. He needs to sort himself out and to do that alone. Plus, you dont need the stress and psychic damage of dealing with his B.S. Best of luck to you.
|

replied June 17th, 2007
Brittany- As a former alcoholic I can tell you, that if that person doesn't want to get better, you're trying in vain.
You can commit him for thousand and thousand of time in rehab...They won't do him any good if he's not convinced that he's doing something wrong that will, finally, destroy him.
My advice is to try your best in showing him that he’s' doomed unless he does something- if he can't be persuaded, leave him dear girl.
You deserve to have a normal life, you deserve better things!
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....