biting...anyone know how to stop doing it?

My nails are very thin and break easily, but I need to stop...just can't make myself stop.

thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2007
Supporter
I wish I knew!! I've been a nail biter since I was little.. My nails are horrible..
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i wish i could help but i use to bite my nails like mad and one day i looked at them and got disgusted and ive almost completly stopped

now i only do it when i have a rough nail or a hang nail and no clippers scissors or files

also i learned that if you stop biting and start taking care of them (clipping filing etc) they grow faster and stronger

~alicia~
|

replied May 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
what about that stuff they make, i think it's like a gross tasting nail polish?

i don't really know. i used to bite my nails and one day i just stopped.
|

replied May 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
They have some stuff at .Sally's beauty supply that comes with a ridge filler and a clear polish that makes them stronger.
I'm sure if you have a 'open to the public' beauty supply store they should have something.

Gelatin (knox) works well, taking vitamins, keeping them polished will sometimes deter you from biting.

Good luck it's a hard habit to break
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
They become less brittle and split less when you stop biting them.

I stopped biting mine during my pregnancy - biting them always made me nauseated.

I would suggest chewing gum or something similar when you get stressed or bored (that's when I always chewed mine).
|

replied May 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i can't help youwither girl..im one of those that lets them gorw to kingdom come and one day lose it and chew them all off....that gross tasting polish doesnt work...i tend to bite them when im stressed..
|

replied May 20th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
I used to bite my nails too but I noticed that it was starting to affect my teeth and that made me stop. Vanity I guess. Wink

Only now I chew my lip. Sad

Sorry wish I could help but I can only commiserate.
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2007
Experienced User
Stick your nails under a microscope ...that will cure yea Shocked ..worked fer me haven't biten my nails in forever!
|

replied May 20th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
haha yeah. In one of my biology courses this year we had to learn about roundworms and pinworms and tapeworms and such. So disgusting what can live in people's fingernails and they stick them in their mouth and suddenly there's a worm living in them. Ugh. Don't forget to wash your hands!!
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2007
Experienced User
I have known many friends who had trouble biting their nails and what got them to stop is having fake nails. I don't bite my nails but I have a tendency to chew on the skin on the edges of the nails. When I have fake nails on I don't. Parents that are trying to break their children of chewing on their nails will either use hot sauce, alum or rubbing alcohol. It's truely hard as an adult who has bitten their nails for years to stop this habbit so sometimes what is easier is to find the reason that makes you chew them. Do you notice when you chew your nails whether your nervous, anxious, angry, excited ect..? If you can find at what times you notice you chew the most try to make your self contious of this and find something else to chew on such as gum, sucker, straws ect...

I hope I have been of some help with some suggestions good luck.
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
kaerbear wrote:
haha yeah. In one of my biology courses this year we had to learn about roundworms and pinworms and tapeworms and such. So disgusting what can live in people's fingernails and they stick them in their mouth and suddenly there's a worm living in them. Ugh. Don't forget to wash your hands!!

OK, that's gross. That could explain why I got worms when I was five. I completely forgot about that gross experience until now. Perhaps I would have been cured if I had seen that in my biology class as well.

I have bitten my nails since I was three or four..seriously. The only thing that really stops me is fake nails but as soon as they come off, I go back to biting. I was thinking of trying the gross tasting stuff, but I am so bad I would probably suck it off. I am usually an anxiety-ridden stress case and when I am going through periods of extreme anxiety, mail nails end up being even shorter than usually - which is pretty darn short. It is sometimes so bad that I have to hide my hands so people don't cringe.

These are the reasons why when I am working, I usually have fake nails.
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
The trick is to find something else to do with your mouth or hands, to keep them away from each other. Something easy that you can pick up and do on a whim. Like, I don't know, knitting or something? I can't think of a good example to occupy hands - my brain isn't working. But chewing gum is a great way to occupy your mouth, and you can work out your stress on that piece instead of on your nails.

Ooh, another thing that might help. Paint your nails with colored polish. It looks terrible when it's all bitten up, so it might help keep you from biting them.

Karin: I used to bite my nails down to the quick, and sometimes accidently go lower than that. It was horrible. I would hide my nails too. Embarassed
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i bite my nails and i always have, but i usually stop when i reach the bottom of the white part of the long nail.. so pretty much to my finger tip.

and then i chew on the nail Embarassed that's gross, huh? thats the only reason I do it, and that's the only reason i've ever done it. just to have something to chew on i guess, i like to have things in my mouth Laughing
|

replied May 21st, 2007
Experienced User
well at least i am not the only one. It's a nasty habit!!! It's also looks nasty having your hands at your face all the time. Well, maybe I'll just have to have Determination and will power, which i have none of...i'll learn i guess.
|
Tags: Pregnancy
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...