Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

to Young to Get Tubes Tied ?

I have a girl that turned 2 yesterday and am currently pregnant with a boy. I am on bed rest right now and I am only 30 weeks, I am 2cm dilated and 50% effaced and the doc can feel his head. When I was pregnant with my daughter I was put on bed rest 2 months before she was born because I was 2cm dilated with her also. I have a heart murmer that keeps growing and am taking meds for it. Last Tuesday I had an appt for that and had an EKG done and it showed that my root is getting bigger and if it gets 3mm bigger i have to have a csection, else I could die in labor. My husband and I have been talking about the option of getting my tubes tied because he doesnt want me to get pregnant again and have something happen to me. I agree with him, i dont want to have more kids if im not going to be here to see them grow up. We have talked about the option of adopting if in a few years I decide I want to have more kids because I have always dreamed about having a big family. But am I to young, I am only 21?? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!! Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i know this may not be ideal but have you thought of having an iud (the coil)? it is nearly as effective as sterilisation and last 5-10 years depending on which one you have. you can then get it replaced straightaway if you choose.

i have one in and it's absolutely brilliant! i am 22 and had 3 pregnancies in under 3 years. i have a 26 month old daughter a 16 month old son and lost my second daughter at 21 weeks pregnant back in september so i would of had 3 under 3 Shocked

like you, i decided i didn't want anymore kids and my husband was due to get a vasectomy. we have now split up and i realised that things can change in your life and what you want now may not be applicable in a few years time.

please think of the coil. it is just as good as sterilisation but if you change your mind it can be removed and your fertility returns to normal. there are so many stories of women getting sterilised and regretting it.

good luck whatever you decide Wink
|

replied May 19th, 2007
Experienced User
I was in the hospital with my first son and ended up loosing him at 26.5 weeks. With my 2nd i had a few complications and i talked to my doctor about having my tubes tied as i really dont' want anymore children....yeah i have entertained the idea but when it comes down to it i know i don't want any....i am 25 and they wouldn't let me tie mine...but i have the coil like becks...and well i like it so far....so far so good....

good luck
|

replied May 19th, 2007
I have thought of that. I had the Marina in between my daughter and this one, but decided to get it taken out alittle earlier than planned. More of the reason I have been considering tieing my tubes is my health. If my husband and i ever did split up or if something happened to him, and I did decide to marry again and have kids, then worse case, I dont make it thru labor or during the pregnancy, what happens to my kids? There are just soo many things that keep running through my mind! I am going to make an appt to talk to the nurse about my options of birth control afterwords and mention it to her. I dont understand how they wont let you get yours tied, isnt it your decision?? Sorry to hear about both of your guys' loss, im 30 weeks and am hoping I dont go into labor anytime soon. I am currently going to the dr to monitor the baby 2 times a week.
Thank you guys for your replys!
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I believe another of our posters, .sandra, had her tubes successfully tied after 2 children. She's 24. It might vary from doctor to doctor. I hope you make a decision that you and your family are comfortable with! Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Good idea Beckster! Talk to your dr about an Ius/Iud and you might even pm a girl that foes by the name of Cairifairy as she can give you some information on them.
Good Luck to You!
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2010
i had my tubes tied, when i was 23, im now 38, and i wish i never had its done, as i only had them teid as i have 3 childrens from 3 diffent dads as they all left me ,back them. but now iam with the right guy, and i been with him for over 4 yrs, all i can say is dont just go and have its done, why dont you try and have the rod , as thats every 3 yrs, think 1st befor you go and get its done, or why dont ur parter get his done, (why is every think all ways up to us??)
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...