Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Temperatures and Ovulation Explained

User Profile
I was just wondering if there was anyone who could spare a few minutes to explain the temps to me.
I know that temps rise with ovulation, but other then that, when else would I see what kind of temp change throughout cycle and with pregnancy??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 19th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
After af when the body starts producing estrogen, which lowers temps, and stops producing progesterone, which raises temps, BBT is low and stays low as long as the body is not producing progesterine. On the day of ovulation, some women see a temp drop. I'm not sure what causes this temp drop. After ovulation, the body produces progesterone causing a temp rise of about 0.5 degrees F and stay high until af. If a fertilized egg implants in the uteris, some women experience a small temporary drop in temp due to a surge in estrogen. After the fertilized egg implants, it starts producing HcG, which, for some women, will push temps up higher. If a fertilized egg does not implant or for women who do not get the implantation dip or second rise, temp will stay at about the same level until about af or throughout pregnancy.

The temp change with af varies. For me, my temp gets erratic before af but doesn't really drop until the end of af. Some women get the temp drop just before or after af. Typically, progesterone drops before af but is still high until after af. You need to temp for a few months before you know what is normal for you.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2007
Experienced User
Thank you VERY much shortgeek, I have been trying to understand it with no such luck.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....