Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Problem with internal organs or Hypochondria ?

User Profile
I am afraid that this could be something serious... I am worried they missed something on the ultrasound, as I feel like there is something amiss in that area... I do feel a hardness in there, and can feel my heartbeat in there, I am afraid there could be something wrong with my abdominal aorta ( even though the doc had the ultrasound tech pay special att: to abdominal aorta and gallbladder ) they say it is the right size, and it is fine, but why do I feel like I can actually feel "it" and then the strong heartbeat? Can this be normal? Could it be fat overtop of it I feel?? When sitting I feel uncomfortable, like things are crowded in there or something. I just want to know that what I feel can be normal or not. When I get up in the morning sometimes, when I shift from one side to my back or something I feel a movement in the chest area, like maybe pressure, or something... very weird feeling.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Heart Disease & Heart Attack Answer A2795
You wrote:

"Current medical status: I went to the dr. complaining of weird chest pains/feelings then I started getting bloated feeling, that stays, and then one week it was so bad I couldn't get a deep breath... started with what i thought was heartburn.. he did a physcial exam and an ekg, ekg was normal, he did feel soemthing in the abdomen area, explained it could just be fat, but to be sure lets get a ultrasound... got the results back and everything was normal size, etc. I then had the HIDA scan which showed ef rate at 24% so I was refered to a surgeon and when I met with him, he stated he was not ready to just take the gallbladder out just yet.. he felt my stomach and mentioned getting a possible ct scan. I mentioned I did have a ultrasound, so he went and looked the results up on his computer, came back and said everything was good on that, so he ordered an endoscope which I have not had yet....

Current medical treatment: Aciphex one a day Yasmin ( birthcontrol) one a day Asacol 6 a day"

A person can experience many subjective symptoms. However, only an ultrasound, gastroscopy, CT-scan, ECG and other medical diagnostic procedures can precisely indicate if there is really something wrong in your body or not. These are all objective reports. A mental disorder exists called "hypochondria". People that suffer from hypochondria "over-feel" normal inner body sensations and interpret them as symptoms of disease. It seems possible that all the symptoms that you feel are, in fact, normal inner body sensations that your mind interprets as symptoms of disease. That’s why doctors used all medical diagnostic procedures to check if there is some organic substrate present that causes those symptoms. In your case, everything was generally OK. The HIDA scan was a little under the normal range but that is not enough to remove the gallbladder because you are not experiencing severe billiary colic (pain) but only some strange feeling. No doctor can remove your gallbladder because of some “strange feeling”. You can continue taking medications for your pre-existing condition (ulcerative colitis) and for the stomach. You can regularly check your ulcerative colitis with a gastro-enterologist. You can also consult a mental health doctor for learning more about hypochondria and seeking treatment options for the mental aspect of the condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.