Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Can I delay premature delivery ?

User Profile
I saw my dr on tue may 15 and she said that I'm 35 weeks 80%thinned out and 2cm dialated, Im not due till fathers day(june17) she says the baby may come early but some people can walk around like this for 2-3 weeks befor going in to labor(i hope im one of those people) i was just wondering if i go 100%thinned out if thats when my water breaks and if there is anyway i can slow this process down, like going on kind of bed rest or not walking much or anything. when she did my exam she said the babys head was right there. Please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2007
Pregnancy Answer A2788
A normal pregnancy lasts 38-42 weeks, which means that you'll need to wait about 3 more weeks before going into labor. As the delivery date is getting closer, the cervix becomes smaller and larger. At the end of a pregnancy, the cervix vanishes completely and is maximally dilated. When the water breaks, delivery usually begins within 24 hours. As Braxton’s contractions (a type of uterine contraction) become more frequent and regular delivery begins. There is nothing you can do to avoid premature birth if your destiny was to deliver earlier than normal. Some factors that contribute to premature birth are out of your control. Resting is recommended but it doesn’t guarantee that you will deliver on time or delay delivery.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.