Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Need Help With Lung Health!

Hi, im 26 years old and about 3 months ago i got a nasty cold that was pretty much nasal congestion and severe coughing. i didnt take anything for it or go see a doctor, i just kinda shrugged it off and it passed except for the coughing which was still severe for awhile but lessened each month and i eventually just forgot about it and dealt with it. well as i was driving to work last week i heard something about chronic coughs = lung cancer. and i got terrified. my cough currently isn't bad at all, its just a random dry cough here and there, i'd say i do it once or twice a day. in my fear i booked an appointment with my family physician and went that day. he listened to my lungs and said my breathing was ok then looked in my throat and said " oh yeah we have some drainage back there thats probably whats causing it " after that he pressed on my sinus areas to check for discomfort. there was none and then he didnt really diagnose me with anything he just wrote me a prescription for Clarithromycin ER and i have just taken my 6th out of 20 pills. so far i dont really feel any effects i had a couple of brief coughing fits earlier today.

Am i being over worried? what does this sound like to you? any advice or reassurance is ok. my family thinks im being over paranoid.

Edit: i forgot to mention i am a non smoker. i occasionally run into second hand smoke but i try to stay away from it. its a wide area and easy to avoid.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with lower respiratory tract infection. Cough is due to irritation of airway. Just complete your course of antibiotics. I would like to add antihistamine as well.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2019
Experienced User
I will suggest you two things, firstly you go to your family doctor for a proper check up with medical and here are some ways to keep your lungs healthy :

1. Exercise to breathe harder
2. Avoid exposure to pollutants
3. Prevent infections
4. Breathe deeply.
|
Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lung Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.