Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

How to Make You Family Understand...

User Profile
i was just wondering if anyone has found the right way for the family to understand what we go through, but i just dont know how to explain it and everytime i do i say something wrong and usually end up hurting them all...so i need some advice on the whole family situation
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2007
Supporter
No Sure If This Is You
WHen I was in my 20's my parents broke down and cried.......thought i was anorexic......actually I would blow chinks everytime i ate and was so weight concious it was sickening. I was 26 and weighrd a mere 100 pounds at one point. One Sunday dinner, I announced I had a probelm. he problem is I felt out of control and choosing what I could and could not eat and control my weight was something I could do. Of course they all thought ia was nuts, but I could have cared less what anyone thought. Still stuborn, but I knew I had to make some life changes, afer all I had just had a baby. Obesity runs in my family and I do not want to be FAt. I never wanted to be an embarrassment to my child. I was a single mom at the time. I tried couseling a couple times to no avail. So I took the bull by the horns and decided to read up on nutritional balanced meals and sensible exercise. I have maintained my size 10 for over 35 years now. I was a chunko in high school size 14-16. I hit the big 50 this year and I feel like I have more control over so many things.........Hope this has helped you some if not, at lleast I answered and tried! Cool
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I don't know what's like to tell the parents.. sometimes, i wish they could be aware of what i think and feel, but they aren't comprehensive at all when it comes to things like eating and weight to me...
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2007
Experienced User
yah i can tell...a little while ago i called my dad to see if me and my sister and him were gonna go out to eat, but then my sister said she was going out with my mom and lil brother instead and then my dad goes then im not hungry then, nobody wants to go eat with a bulimic Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
:\
But that's not supporting you... It's hard for them, we all know that.
|

replied June 4th, 2007
Experienced User
thats a horrible thing to say!!!!!!!!! thats seriously so mean! maybe you could explain you are really struggling with some things, get them some brouchures on eating disorders and they could read them, instead of you having to explain everything. or tell them you are really struggling with some issues, see a psyc and then get the psyc to tell them. x
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....