Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diets and Diet Plans Forum

Height Gain Possible?? Yes? No?

Hello I am 16 years old, almost 17, and i'm 5'6" and I was wondering if height gain was possible? Does it mostly depend on sleep habits? Or nutrition? Or does it only depend on genetics. My parents are 5'7" and 5'0" tall.
I have found websites online promising that height gain is possible and they either give u pills or excersices, or shoe insoles or anyother type of device. Are these just marketing scams? Or what?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 30th, 2003
Height Gain Possible?? Yes? No?
I think it's all about genetics. I highly doubt that taking anything or doing anything special will make you taller. Maybe i'm wrong, but I think i'm right. 5'6" isn't so bad though-you'll learn to love it.
|

replied August 30th, 2003
Hmm...
Well, I guess ill have to learn to live with it, but does anyone have any proof that growth by using products or excersicing is possible or not possible??
|

replied September 2nd, 2003
Experienced User
Fyi:

males continue to gain height well in to their 20s; whereas females tend to begin to mature quicker, they stop sooner as well.

Height is primarily genetics, but not limited to just your parents. If you have taller grandparents for example, you could get some of those genes.

My brother is 2 years older than I am and when he was 16, we were about the same height (i am a female), about 5 ft. 2 in. By the time he was almost 18, he was just at 6 ft. He now stands about 6 ft. 1 in., and i'm still 5 ft. 2 in.

I can understand you being concerned, but as you get older, it won't seem like such a big deal either way, tall or not so tall.

Libby
|

replied September 2nd, 2003
Experienced User
And those places that say they can make you taller...All scams. Don't buy in to them. They will try and get $$ from anyone with any insecurities.

Libby
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Excercise, diet and good sleeping habits can help in height increase.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|

replied March 7th, 2019
It really is possible to increase your height even after the age of 16 either you are male or female. All these workouts and yoga poses will strengthen your bones and muscles. The diet will ensure that your body is balanced and gets the required nutrition and vitamins that are required for a height increase.

Depends on your dad and your gender

Girls will usually be shorter than guys from the same family because of genetics.

Most guys nowadays will usually be slightly taller than their father but not by a huge margin.

You can expect to grow more than 5.7 if your a guy on a healthy diet with good exercise. Whether or not you can grow ALOT taller after 5.7 depends on your further ancestors.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diets and Diet Plans , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.