Hi stan

I have just found your diet advice, I only just found out you had posted it, otherwise I would have looked sooner. You had a list of foods not to eat at the beginning and I have been eating these reguarly. May I ask why milk, oats, cheese and carrots are a problem? I actually have been having organic muesly base (with oats) with goats milk for most breakfasts. Also cheese a snack, sometimes in wholemeal rolls for lunch. I only have been doing this as my Bio magnetic therapist told me this was ok. He said cheese and milk were especially good at night. Could this be why my insomnia is quite bad?

I was going to say I'm back on the diet (no more naughty stuff) but maybe I'm not haing quite the right thing any way

Many thanks for your help, love Vicki x
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2007
Community Volunteer
That diet is very extreme, I need to post a revised one soon. Here are some comments though:

1. Milk, if not from goats or sheep, is high in sugar. Looking at the carbohydrate content and compare it to the sugar content. In cow milk it's all the same, the carb content is simply sugar. Goat's milk is slightly better, but all the milk I've seen usually contains some kind of filler like tapioca starch, which I would avoid.

2. Oats are probably the best grain to try, but again, as I've said, many hypoglycemics, especially those just starting their diet, have trouble with grains and find it easier to add later. Your body will adjust eventually, but don't expect to happen quickly.

3. Cheese is okay, that's something I changed, as long as it's not processed. If it just contains milk, culture and maybe a bit of spice depending on type, that's fine. If processed do not eat it. Raw cheese is better for you, but hard to find.

4. Carrots must be avoided. All root vegetables are high in sugar and cause a quick rise in sugar. Potatoes and beets are obviously included in this mix, two of the worst vegetables in the entire world.

5. Cheese would be good at night, but I wouldn't recommend milk because of the sugar content. Could be the problem.
|

replied May 12th, 2007
Thank you Stan that helps alot, and I didn't know potatoes were such a problem, which I have had ocassionally.

Forgot to ask about brown rice?

Many thanks and best wishes Vicki x
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Brown rice is another tricky one. Some people have luck with it, others enter hell. Perhaps try to find a store with bulk wild rice, you may have a lot of luck with that. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, they'll have it. Yeah, wow, don't eat any potatoes until you're stable, they're nasty nasty nasty. I've even heard some doctors theorize that the reason Russian culture seems so depressed and angst ridden is because they eat so damn many of them. As a rule, you should avoid root vegetables at first.
|

replied May 12th, 2007
Hi thanks for the advice, I think I'm ok with the brown rice but I will keep an eye on it.

Interesting what you said about the Russian culture and potatoes. I know that potatoes aren't considered worthy to count towards the five fruit and veg people are meant to have each day.

Many thanks, love Vicki x
|