Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Bipolar Boyfriend...don't Kno What to Do...

I've been with my bipolar boyfriend for over a year. Lately his symptoms have been getting worse. Last week he went to Netcare Access and they committed him to the hospital. I know he's getting help there. But I just don't really know much about it. He was self medicating himself almost the whole time he has been with me. Whether it be with alcohol or cocaine or any other drug he could get ahold of. Is it normal for people with this to become alcoholics and be violent?? It was only getting worse before he went and got help. He broke my finger one night and the next he tried to hit my sister. I don't know what to do for him. Is there anything I can do? Do I just make it worse by trying to help? I know I have alot of questions. It's just I love him and I wish I knew more about it. Could all of his problems (alcoholism, drug abuse, migraines, severe depression, suicidal thoughts, and stomach problems) be a part of his untreated bipolar disorder?? Please help me with some answers!!! Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 10th, 2007
Experienced User
Hi
Yes, bipolar people seem to try to self medicate. I am not sure what to say to do for help of his addictions. I self medicated for several years then once I stopped my moods were better controlled. Depression is a big part of the moods of bipolar. And the slightest thing can make a bipolar person on no meds very upset because we have sveere mood swings. I would suggest maybe you search google and look up more info on bipolar. It can be hard to support a person like this, but it is not impossible. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...