Hi,
I'm a 23 year old male, and am having a problem. I currently suffer from extreme exhaustion during the day, and it dosen't matter what time of day it is. It can be 10 minutes after I wake up, or 6 hours after I'm awake. At any time during the day, I feel like I can almost fall asleep standing up.

Nightly, I get about 4 solid hours sleep, from 2AM to 6AM. I leave for work at 7:15AM, but in order to be awake and going by that time, I need to "start" waking up at 6AM. I hit the snooze alarm about 10 times before I can actually drag myself out of bed.

I was tested for thyroid disease about a month ago, with a negative result, so it's not from that.

I've tried to get additional sleep, but it's somewhat difficult for me. It's more of a personal life thing...for instance, my wife constantly tells me I sleep "too much". My mother-in-law tells me that any more than 6 hours sleep is too much. Therefore, because everyone else in my household stays awake until 2:00AM, I am generally forced to do the same.

My fatigue has got to the point where I need to take my entire lunch break at work taking a nap. I am easily irritated, and have difficulty concentrating. It's really starting to negatively affect my life.

Do you have any ideas of how I can improve this situation? My work schedule requires me to be at work or commuting to work between the hours of 7:15AM and 6:45PM (11.5 hours daily). Sleeping 8 hours limits my time with my wife and family. That would limit me to 3.5 hours each day with my family, which includes dinner and "attention time". Any ideas of how I can resolve this, before I collapse entirely from exhaustion?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i usually sleep around 8 hours a night and i think this is a healthy amount.

4 hours seems like too little to me. some people can survive on that but by what you are saying it sounds like you need more.

try going to bed around 12 midnight and see if it makes a difference. don't worry about the other people in your household- your health is important
|

replied May 10th, 2007
Well, I went to sleep at 12-midnight last night, and today I feel worse than I did yesterday. Also tried drinking something along the lines of a Carnation Instant Breakfast this morning, thinking this would boost my energy...no such luck apparently.

Any more suggestions?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
is your diet healthy? sometime eating alot of starches and carbohydrates can make you tired Confused
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Go to bed earlier, even if it cuts into family time a bit. i'm not sure how much "family time" you get after 8-9 pm anyway.

and one night of falling asleep a little earlier is not going to help. you're going to feel groggy for a few days but as your body adjusts so will your mind.
|

replied May 21st, 2007
I agree, I would get more sleep because not getting adequate sleep over a long period of time can result in other health problems.
|

replied June 1st, 2007
Maybe some people can go on 6 hours sleep. But everyone isn't the same. I wish I could get 8 hours. When I do the day goes by so much better. Maybe whoever told you six is enough don't do as much as you during the day. I was always told 8 hours. Maybe 6 is ok a night or two but with me it would catch up with me after that.
|