Lately I've noticed that Ava rather play than eat. She eats her food and then I try to give her a bottle and she pushes it away and tries to get off of me to go on the floor. I put her down and she plays for a while. I'm scared that she's not getting enough formula. Is this okay?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 6th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Babies will never starve themselves if they are healthy. She is probably full when you try to feed her a bottle. She will drink it when she needs it Smile
|

replied May 6th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Ingi wrote:
Babies will never starve themselves if they are healthy. She is probably full when you try to feed her a bottle. She will drink it when she needs it Smile

but at 6 months old shouldn't formula be her main source of nutrition?

i would rather finn get his formula in rather than food. maybe give her a bottle first and then offer food? or stagger them so you're not following up a meal with a bottle?
|

replied May 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
She is getting more formula than food, but she just doesn't take as much formula.
Today for example:
1/2 container of fruits, oz. of oatmeal, 10 oz. of milk between her 6 oz and 4 to put her to sleep
1 container of peas, 3 oz. of formula and some juice
6 oz of formula
1/2 jar beef and beef gravy, 1/2 container of peas, 1/2 container of pears and pineapples, 1 oz of formula
she'll take about 8 oz to go to sleep if I don't feed her too late
So that's 25 oz. and some food.
Now looking at it, it is alot of food, but it worries me b/c she hasn't had a full bottle since 3 and it's 8 over here. She did have a big dinner though.
|

replied May 6th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
that does sound like a lot of food. i also just read somewhere that at this age they shouldn't have more than 25oz of formula if they're on solids. i don't know if that's true or not but it sounds about right.
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
formula/breastmilk should be the *main* source of nutrition for the first year of life. babies dont even *need* solids in the first year of life. basically, if you are concerned, i would cut back on giving her solids, she will most likely drink more formula....and i would avoid juice...its just sugar, and empty calories.
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I go by an article in a magazine called "baby steps"

It says for 6-8 months (the earliest it starts), should get morning and night solid feedings and breast/formula for all other feedings. (About 30-32 oz of formula a day.) This is the breakdown it gives:

Breast/formula: Breast, 3-6 times a day; formula, 30-32 oz a day

Cereals or breads: breast milk or formula added to cereal (4-6 tbs twice daily)

Vegetables: dark yellow/green (not corn), 2-4 tbs once daily

Fruits: smashed/strained bananas or apple sauce, 2-4 tbs once daily

Fruit juices: offered in a cup up to 2-4 oz once daily

I use this because it coincides pretty well with what my doctor told me when Logan started on solids. It has three stages and goes up to 12mo of age. Hope it helped you a little!
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Nataliachick7 wrote:
formula/breastmilk should be the *main* source of nutrition for the first year of life. babies dont even *need* solids in the first year of life. basically, if you are concerned, i would cut back on giving her solids, she will most likely drink more formula....and i would avoid juice...its just sugar, and empty calories.

Some juice means 1/2 oz just to wash down the food.
|

User Profile
replied May 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
jessesgirl wrote:
Nataliachick7 wrote:

well, just wondering if you have considered water instead? in my opinion, its healthier. plus, if they get used to sweet things then i can see why babies wouldnt want their formula.
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Nataliachick7 wrote:

well, just wondering if you have considered water instead? in my opinion, its healthier. plus, if they get used to sweet things then i can see why babies wouldnt want their formula.[/quote]

I'm with you on the juice thing! Empty sugary calories.

I had to really watch what my daughter ate since she was so thin and prone not to gain weight. She was breastfed only until 6 months old. Actually, I tried to give her some cereal once to see if it helped her sleep. Instead, she cried the whole night. Must have given her a tummy ache! The doctor had a good laugh at me for that one!

I fed solids morning and night only and started out with veggies, since fruits have empty sugary calories ~ and will train a person to like sweets. Babies aren't fools, they eat sugar the same as you and I if they have a taste for it. If they never have it, they won't want it. Start a baby on applesauce and they won't want veggies. Veggies are more nutritious

If you are ever concerned with what you should be feeding your daughter, call your doctor. They are there to help. The nurse might even give you some literature on the amounts of food you should be feeding her.
|

replied May 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i agree juice is totally not needed. I give my son water ...juices are full of sugar and they fill them up and cause cavities. My dr. said he should be drinking about 20-25 oz a day and to keep feeding him..so it all depends on your dr and what is best for your child.
|
Tags: parenting, food
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....