A few months ago I was diagnosed with Post-Viral Gastroparesis from having mono last year, I am on Buspar and Desiprimine and a canadian gastric drug called Domperidone, I have lost nearly 50 pounds since i have been sick and a ton of muscle mass, I have alot of info regarding the disorder but does anyone have personal experiences or tips/thoughts about it or its prognosis. I am 22 year old male, I was 5'10 195ish now i have 155ish, becuuase I can hardly eat any solid foods and get close to no exercise. This is such a handicap and I have been out of school and work and feel like a bum, any advice beyond (Slowed Gastric Emptying) would help, especially anything holisitic. Thank you so much
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper TForsyth
|

replied September 14th, 2008
I had post-viral gastroparesis for 30 months after suffering a bout of gastroenteritis. My gastroenterologist assured me for years that it would get better. I ended up being fed enterally via a naso-jejunal tube and this ultimately normalized my gastric emptying. I really feel for you, there is nothing quite like this condition, but don't give up hope.
|

replied January 15th, 2009
gastroparesis
I am a 37 year old that has esophageal spasms and gastroparesis{only solid food} after having a virus last march. I was very athletic and I have not worked out since I got sick last year because I haven't had solid food in 9 months. I too have lost all of my muscle and I feel like I am living someone elses life. I sleep all of the time because I have no energy and I am so depressed. I had to quit my job too. My husband works 6 to 7 days a week. This has all but destroyed my life. I still hope Jesus will heal me one day and I have tremendous faith that he will. I willpray for you. Don't give up.
|

replied May 24th, 2009
gastroparesis
I have had this for over 3 years now and it was caused by a gastric virus. I have been to hell and back, like many of us have. I find liquid foods with no fat help, so i live on slimfast and complan. I am alive and that's all that matters; so stay with it they are working on a cure at the moment to help the vagus nerve.
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Gastro Paresis
I too have Gastroparesis and have all the same exact feelings, symptoms, etc., as all of you. I am going to try Gastro Bypass surgery. Th surgery is suppose to allow food to pass into the small bowel by gravity as opposed to contractions from the v nerve (whatever it's called). I'm not sure how I got this, why or from what virus. I'm down 22 lbs in about 6mths, have lost all muscle tone and patience. I almost fall into these "passout" exhaustion episodes that can last for up to a whole day and feel weak most of the time. I used to exercise a couple hours a day. - Those days are over...getting out of bed with a 4 & 6 year old to take care of is about all I can handle now. Take care all and it really does help to know someone else knows how I feel.
|
Users who thank B6J4smomma for this post: GastroparesisSarcoidosisz 

replied September 25th, 2009
gastroparesis
I have had gastroparesis for a couple years now. I had my gall bladder taken out laproscopically, and the Vagus Nerve was damaged. I am now facing gastric bypass so I can live w/out pain from eating. But honestly, I am terrified that it is the wrong decision and I will only make my life worse. Does anyone have any experiences/advice?
|

replied November 7th, 2012
Any information regarding Gastoparesis and Sarcoidosis symptoms?
Your post could have easily been my own experience. Unfortunately, I don't have much advice, because I'm struggling to manage my own symptoms currently, but I can certainly empathize with you. I wish you the best- Living with Gastroparesis has its challenges that can at times be overwelhming.
|

replied September 26th, 2009
I am B6J4smomma. I had written this summer and stated that I too was going try the Gastric Bypass for my gastroparesis I got on Xmas day after dinner 2008. I havent done it yet. I am too scared it won't work or I;ll always wonder would it have went away by iteslf? It's all a crap shoot. I haven't had a good normal day in almost 10 months. I keep being told it will go away by itself and to be patient. It's being almost unbearable. It's totally effected my home life with my family and I'm too weak and energyless to do anything about it. Good Luck to you and God Bless you.
|

replied September 26th, 2009
I am very curious to know how the internal feeding tube through the nose normalized you. That is like the best news I have heard in months. Could you tell me why this helped and how long and how often you did this. I would really appreciate it. Thanks B6J4smomma
|

replied December 11th, 2009
There is hope in holistic/alternative medicine...
I am a Family Nurse Practitioner who was diagnosed last year with gastroparesis. There is a long story as to how I knew it was viral and the events that lead up to it. I do know I had shingles on the right side of my face and kept telling the doctors that but no one would listen. They kept testing me for diabetes, scleroderma, and every other possible medical reason. I had actually suggested to my doctor that it was viral gastroparesis, but he told me that that was SO rare. After several tests (tests for gallbladder, cancer, diabetes, etc.) he finally ordered the appropriate test, the stomach emptying test which proved it was gastroparesis...just not viral (idiopathic). Not sure why no one ever drew a viral panel on me? After 3 hospitalizations and 35 lbs of weight loss, my nausea was "under control" (although my quality of life was very poor) after using a scopolomine patch behind my ear and reglan 4 times daily. My western medicine doctor told me that was all he could do until I was able to get into one of the 9 or so motility docs in the country (appts. were 6 months out!). I knew I had to do something. As 'hokey' as it sounded at the time I went to see a chiropractor who also has a diplomat in Internal Medicine and practices a lot of holisitc medicine and acupuncture. They obtained a blood sample to run a viral panel on me (yes, despite what most docs think, it is within the scope of practice for a chiropractor to draw blood and run labs). Sure enough, I had CMV, Herpes Type 1 & 6, along with mono! My titers were out of this world. They started me on some natural antiviral medicine (can give more info if anyone is interested), along with acupuncture. They told me at the first visit that they would have me back to 100%. I hoped that was the case. Sure enough after 4 acupuncture treatments (although continued this for about 2.5 months) and continuous natural antiviral medicine, I was back to 100% and able to work, hold my kids...heck, get my plate to the sink...all things I hadn't been able to do. I am living proof that alternative medicine WORKS and is not hokey. If anyone would like more information, please let me know. I had a very severe case that was lingering on and on and as soon as I started this treatment, quickly returned to normal. God Bless all of you.
|
Users who thank TForsyth for this post: lane3012  lwight  tmpa 

replied May 14th, 2011
are ur symptoms still gone ?
|

replied May 14th, 2011
I was diagnosed about 1.5 years ago with gastroparesis. Doctor gave me no solution other than prescription pharmaceuticals until it gets so bad I need surgery! I decided on alternative also. I go to a chiropractor that also does electro-acupuncture (no pain whatsoever) and that has helped tremendously. I eat alot of greek yogurt (more protein, less sugar) and I started taking Align which you can buy over the counter from any local drugstore. It has probiotics which aid in digestion. If I can't get out and walk every day, I try to do my own stomach massage or stomach muscle contractions to move along the food. Cut down on sugar, one diet pop a day helps, but I think the Align has does the most good.It took about 3 weeks to notice a difference. I still have to watch the quantity I eat at one time but I can eat solid food. Also, 8 -10 small meals throughout the day. By meals I mean one container of yogurt = a meal. On the weekends, I can eat larger meals but still not like before the condition hit. They suspect mine is viral from a stomach flu.
|

replied May 14th, 2011
Gastroparesis input
I was diagnosed about 1.5 years ago with gastroparesis. Doctor gave me no solution other than prescription pharmaceuticals until it gets so bad I need surgery! I decided on alternative also. I go to a chiropractor that also does electro-acupuncture (no pain whatsoever) and that has helped tremendously. I eat alot of greek yogurt (more protein, less sugar) and I started taking Align which you can buy over the counter from any local drugstore. It has probiotics which aid in digestion. If I can't get out and walk every day, I try to do my own stomach massage or stomach muscle contractions to move along the food. Cut down on sugar, one diet pop a day helps, but I think the Align has does the most good.It took about 3 weeks to notice a difference. I still have to watch the quantity I eat at one time but I can eat solid food. Also, 8 -10 small meals throughout the day. By meals I mean one container of yogurt = a meal. On the weekends, I can eat larger meals but still not like before the condition hit. They suspect mine is viral from a stomach flu.
|

replied August 25th, 2011
Please tell me what the natural anti-viral medicine was. I had my large intestine removed 5 yrs ago, ended up with a major infection and an extended time in hospital. Have had major drops in my blood pressure due to vagus nerve being damaged (did not have this problem prior to surgery), dizzy, nausea, and ultimately diagnozed with gastroparesis. Been on Reglan and other meds which equals being dead. What credentials should I look for in an acupuncturist? Would like to have my life back. Thank you... ShirleyJean
|

replied August 25th, 2011
Please tell me what the natural anti-viral medicine was. I had my large intestine removed 5 yrs ago, ended up with a major infection and an extended time in hospital. Have had major drops in my blood pressure due to vagus nerve being damaged (did not have this problem prior to surgery), dizzy, nausea, and ultimately diagnozed with gastroparesis. Been on Reglan and other meds which equals being dead. What credentials should I look for in an acupuncturist? Would like to have my life back. Thank you... ShirleyJean
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Can you please tell me what the natural anti-viral medicines were?
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Can you please tell me what the natural anti-viral medicines were?
|

replied January 1st, 2012
My wife has G P very bad I would like to know were you are and how I may get intuch with the people that helped you, we live in Yuma AZ. She is now lost over 80lb. has no stringth. this started over a year ago. She was in a rehab unit with a broken leg, got mersa had to have her Art. knee taken out for about 4 weeks. I am starting on food that is low fat and low fibber I hope this will work or maybe some sugestions from you thank you
|

replied June 7th, 2012
gastroporesis
I would like to know what the antiviral medication you used was. Also more information about the acupuncture.
Glad you are better.
|

replied June 9th, 2012
TForsyth: I also have idopathic gastroparesis and I have experienced shingles before it was diagnosed and after. Both times on the right side of my face! Odd. I wonder if there is some kind of connection. I was thinking that the gastroparesis caused my immune system to get so low that I broke out in shingles. I have suffered with this for about 5 years and I am miserable. I've been looking for anything to help me get back to myself. I have no energy whatsoever. I usually sleep 12-15 hours a night. Then I want a nap sometime during the day. I am able to eat solid foods (thank God!), but I have to stay on a very strict diet. I am 19 years old! I don't want to diet. Anyways, I have to stay on a no fat or low fat diet. I try to eat things high in calories and protein since I can't have fat(When I eat fat I am in so much pain). I also try to avoid anything cooked in fat. For example, deep fried food. If the oil is old, it kills my stomach. But if it is changed out reguarly then I'm okay. I've been looking into stem cell research, but haven't found that much on it. I would love to try anything that will help me with this annoyance.
|

replied June 9th, 2012
TForsyth: I also have idopathic gastroparesis and I have experienced shingles before it was diagnosed and after. Both times on the right side of my face! Odd. I wonder if there is some kind of connection. I was thinking that the gastroparesis caused my immune system to get so low that I broke out in shingles. I have suffered with this for about 5 years and I am miserable. I've been looking for anything to help me get back to myself. I have no energy whatsoever. I usually sleep 12-15 hours a night. Then I want a nap sometime during the day. I am able to eat solid foods (thank God!), but I have to stay on a very strict diet. I am 19 years old! I don't want to diet. Anyways, I have to stay on a no fat or low fat diet. I try to eat things high in calories and protein since I can't have fat(When I eat fat I am in so much pain). I also try to avoid anything cooked in fat. For example, deep fried food. If the oil is old, it kills my stomach. But if it is changed out reguarly then I'm okay. I've been looking into stem cell research, but haven't found that much on it. I would love to try anything that will help me with this annoyance.
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
gastroparesis
TForsyth
can you give me more information on the test that they ran and the name of the antiviral medication?
|

TForsyth
I have been suffering for almost one year now with GP and for a while was actually feeling "better." I was on reglan 3 times a day and my doctor wanted me to try and get off of reglan so i did. now i am suffering witb horrible nausea and cant seem to get rid of it. I would love to talk more with you and how you got to feeling better!!!
|

gastroparesis
It's my daughter, she has been fighting it for over a year now. The medical community has been really ulgy towards her. She did get a gastric pacemaker and still has had a really hard time with nauesa & vomiting.
|

replied December 27th, 2009
Thank you for obviously making all of us feel like we're not alone. I too am fighting gastroparesis for a year now. The medical community too has treated me badly and I feel very alone in this entire thing. I did have like others a feeding tube directly placed into my small bowel to give my stomach a rest and it has helped with the severity of my illness, however, I seem to be hurting all over and I'm sure it's from the continued vomiting. Its as though it starts to make everything hurt! - I too would like any and all information you have. Also, have you ever heard of the vagus nerve causing left (and or right) sided back/shoulder pain from the nerve being inflammed?
|

replied January 12th, 2010
I have had gastroparesis (diagnosed by a gastric emptying study) for 1 1/2 years. This started after a bout of meningitis. I have been luckier than a lot of you because by doctors have been very supportive. I have also had a different experience with weight. When I have a bad week or two of nausea I eat mostly liquids, yogurt, soup etc. and I lose 10-12 pounds. But when I have some good days or weeks and I eat more and solid foods my body seems to say "She has been starving us. We better turn every one of these calories into fat." It is much the same as yo-yo dieting. I have actually GAINED weight over the 2 1/2 years. It is also partly due to being exhausted much of the time and therefore exercising less. It is very discouraging. I am now being referred to Temple to consider other possibilities.
|

replied April 13th, 2010
Does gastric bypass work to treat gastroparesis?
I suffer from gastroparesis. No one can tell me why I have it or how I got it. I''m not diabetic. The theory is my sarcoidosis has gone neurological and that''s what''s caused the gastroparesis. Last month they removed my gall bladder, finding it contained sludge, was inflamed and had scar tissue (from previous bouts of inflammation). So far, no relief. I''m getting to the place where I exist on liquids. Most solid foods cause too much pain to eat. I am on reglan 4x a day and an anti-nausea med 1x a day. They''ve just doubled doses of both meds. Everything I read on reglan makes me not really want to be on it. I try solid food and it makes my stomach distend and become so painful I almost can''t take it. The nausea hits even when I take in liquids.. too many I guess. I was thinking about gastric bypass??? My doctor says she doesn''t know if it will ever get better... it could get worse... she said the only way for us to gauge is by symptoms because the emptying test (which I had to originally diagnose this after 2 years of vomitting, pain and misery) won''t necessarily work because if I have a good day when I take the test it won''t accurately show what''s going on... which also means, when I had the test originally I could have been having a good day or a bad day........ This is a very frustrating condition!! I just want to feel better. I have no energy and barely make it to work. Then I hear people talk about all the fun activities they can do... I don''t have the energy to do those. If I''m not working, I''m sleeping. Does gastric bypass work to help gastroparesis?
|

replied April 13th, 2010
Does gastric bypass work to treat gastroparesis?
I suffer from gastroparesis. No one can tell me why I have it or how I got it. I''m not diabetic. The theory is my sarcoidosis has gone neurological and that''s what''s caused the gastroparesis. Last month they removed my gall bladder, finding it contained sludge, was inflamed and had scar tissue (from previous bouts of inflammation). So far, no relief. I''m getting to the place where I exist on liquids. Most solid foods cause too much pain to eat. I am on reglan 4x a day and an anti-nausea med 1x a day. They''ve just doubled doses of both meds. Everything I read on reglan makes me not really want to be on it. I try solid food and it makes my stomach distend and become so painful I almost can''t take it. The nausea hits even when I take in liquids.. too many I guess. I was thinking about gastric bypass??? My doctor says she doesn''t know if it will ever get better... it could get worse... she said the only way for us to gauge is by symptoms because the emptying test (which I had to originally diagnose this after 2 years of vomitting, pain and misery) won''t necessarily work because if I have a good day when I take the test it won''t accurately show what''s going on... which also means, when I had the test originally I could have been having a good day or a bad day........ This is a very frustrating condition!! I just want to feel better. I have no energy and barely make it to work. Then I hear people talk about all the fun activities they can do... I don''t have the energy to do those. If I''m not working, I''m sleeping. Does gastric bypass work to help gastroparesis?
|

replied January 22nd, 2011
Gastric Bypass for Gastroparesis
Hello, I am not sure if anyone still reads these posts, but I need help. I am so desperate, I am thinking of begging for the Gastri Bypass, but I am wanting to talk to someone that has had it done for the Gastroparesis. I am in so much pain again. It seems to go on for months, then back off for a few weeks, then back for months agains. Now after "eating" for the holidays..I've been in so much pain..vomiting, bloating, just sick all the time. I've been on domperidone, now taking melt a ways Reglan, only at night because of the side effects.
I know I am just going on and on...any information would be so helpful and appreciated. I think I have a doctor that might help me here in IL, I just need to know if anyone that has done it, and how they feel about it now.
thank you!!!
|

replied May 14th, 2011
gastric bypass for gastroperisis
did anyone try this ? tried all 4 meds for this condition ,on and off vomiting and nausia daily..help!!
|

replied March 13th, 2012
Gastroparesis and GERD
Has anyone ever tried Buspar for GP or GERD?
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Gastroparesis
Have had GP since 2008. Just started Buspar for GP last week. Side effects are terrible, I don't think I can continue and I'm not seeing any improvements. Am going to try to get referred to a Motility Specialist. Has anyone had luck with Domperidone?
|

replied February 2nd, 2013
Got GP in late 2012. Used Domperidone and Reglan to positive effects.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...