Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Very Strange Kind of Eating Disorder..need Some Info.

I know someone who don't eat anything good for them. they will eat bar b q chips but never touch bar b q sauce. They will eat peanut butter cookies but never just peanut butter. Will eat cool ranch chips but would never touch the dressing. They have never ate a vegetable except french fries. Wont eat meat except fried bacon and that is about the extent of their diet. Its like their scared of real food..could someone give me some information on this kind of disorder., I cant find a thing. Has anyone ever heard of some thing like this..Please help.. Thank you very much. PS they will eat chesse whiz but not chesse slice or a piece of chesse off a brick.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2007
Re: Very Strange Kind of Eating Disorder..need Some Info.
Well dear i am not sure what a technical name for it would be but it sounds to me like maybe they eat things like that because they are fast and possable easy to burn off. have you noticed them having a problem with there weight at all ? some people belive that if they eat small amounts of fatty foods tey can burn them off quicker and not gain any extra weight.i use to catch myself eating a bag of chips or cereal over a meal cuz it was quick and i could count how many calories i would take in . i hope this helps some .. i know its not much but thats what it sort of sounds like to me .
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2007
Hi there,

It sounds as though your friend has what's called: anorexia - restrictive subtype. Has your friend been diagnosed of an eating disorder? If not, I encourage her to do so. From your post, I see that the extent of her diet could potentially put a risk on her health and she may very well be lacking nourishment, vitamins, and minerals.

I have this type of eating disorder myself and am being treated for it now. I hope to hear from you and your friend soon. Best wishes to all!
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
I have the exact same disorder as your friend. I am almost 40, female and have been eating like this all my life. However, I do eat a few more things than your friend. I eat most kinds of meat, breaded fish(but only certain brands and codfish only), french fries, a little pasta, never any sauce nor fruit or vegetables. I am not woried about getting fat and am not overweight in any way, so I don't really see the link to anorexia. My mom just didn't force me to try anything new when I was a kid and just let me eat what I wanted, rather than staying without food at all. The habit developed over the years. A lot of kids have this type of disorder but eventually end up growing out of it. The difference is that I never grew out of it and never will. I am extremely afraid to try any new food I don't know. I haven't eaten a vegetable for as long as I can remember. I have no health problems nor any lacks in my blood tests. The main worry for me is the social problem this brings. I am terrified and feel anxiety whenever someone mentions inviting me out for dinner. I live in Paris, France and people invite you for meals a lot and this is most embarrassing telling them about this problem. I have recently fallen in love with a terrific guy. He has a lot of professional dinners for work, dinners I could never eat anything at and it scares me that this will break up our relationship and he won't love me anymore. It's all new and for the moment we've just been going for drinks, as I keep putting off a meal. He probably thinks I don't like him. Any help appreciated.
|

replied August 1st, 2010
Experienced User
Hey weepymoo!

You're a picky eater. I know a kid like that. The underlying problem was anxiety.

Is there any specific flavor you like? Sweet, for example?

If you like sweets, then try checking out some of the sweeter fruits. This is a good start. For example, Asian mangoes are really sweet and I think you will like them. You can also try drinking smoothies (mixing fruit and vegetables) and making this sweet.

When it comes to dinners out, stick to the meat dishes. Try to ask the restaurants or servers to put the sauce on the side (then you don't have to worry about it). If it's served with potatoes (which can taste similar to french fries) just give the potatoes a tiny try each time. If it's served with pasta, try to take the bottom noodles (as these may be sauceless).

I don't know if it's going to help, but hopefully it's a start! Let me know how it goes!!

Also, you may want to see both a nutritionist and a psychologist about the problem Smile
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....