Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

My Little One Is Constipated....... (Page 1)

what can I give her to make her better?? I have put kyro (spelling??)in her bottles and its not helping. She is 3 1/2 months and I dont know If I can give her apple juice and water it down or what. It is really bothering me and it hurts to go to the the bathroom. She will cry and scream and then when she is done she is smiling and happy. Please help us

Heather
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
When she does go, is it hard "grown up looking" poop or is it still the yellowish stuff? Is she breast fed or formula fed?
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
It is hard and she is formula feed. Some times it is hard and then it gets soft.
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
our pediatrician said to put 2 oz of prune juice in his formula. i never had to do it so i don't know how well it works.
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Both my kids had this probblem when they were very small-the youngest had it worse than the older one. Iron in formula can sometimes be constipating. I tried everything I could think of to help. We did the Karo Syrup. The babysitter gave her a couple of ounces of warm water every afternoon with a little karo in it (the dark kind, not the light kind), and that really seemed to help the most. Idid use half and half apple juice, but I honestly do not think it helped that much. I sometimes had to use a suppository if it was several days between poops and she was very unhappy. I have heard of using aloe vera juice, and I have heard that it was helpful, but never got her to take it...she must not have liked the taste. The problem got much better when she got out of her pavlik harness and could move around more, and then it got much better when she started eating solid foods. You could try prune juice, but my kids would never drink it. When they got older, I always mixed stewed prunes in with their oatmeal.
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
Would prune juice hurt her belly with her being only 3 1/2 months?
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
maybe you should call her doctor and ask what they think you should try.

we were told to use the prune juice before he was old enough for solids. now that he's on solids we were told to feed him prunes.

i hope she feels better soon!
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I didn't give it to my kids that young...I think you would want to water it down and start with very small amounts. Have you asked your pediatrician about this? They all have different opinions, but I listen to my ped because I have entrusted him with the physical well being of my kids. Sometimes we don't agree, but I do pay him for his opinion and expertise. If I really disagree, he asks me what I am basing my info on and we talk about it. He ultimately leaves the decisions up to me, though.
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
I will have to try the kero with warm water. I did not even know that there was light and dark kero!! Will try and see if it works!! Thanks
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I have no idea - .i've never had to deal with it. But I do hope your little sugar feels better. Sad
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
Last time I asked he just told me to put kero in every bottle till she started going good. So I was like ok and it worked and she loves it too. But this time its not working!!! Just thought I would ask you ladies and see what you thought.
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
When .oni got constipated that young, we would give her 1 tablespoon of .karo with 6oz of warm water.(what her Dr. advised)

LIterally, 4 ounces into it, she'd be pooping!!

I put money on .karo syrup and warm water! Wink
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I know diluted apple juice works wonders on .Kaylee when she's constipated but since your little one is still kinda young .I'm not sure Confused .I hope she feels better soon!
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
constpiation:

for the most natrual approach, try:

get a stage one gerber jar of prunes, put a tablespoon of that in the bottle.

if that doesnt work

a teaspoon of dark karo in the bottle

if that doesnt work

milk of magnesia (ask your doc, it should be fine, we used it)

if that doesnt work

you may need to use an infant suppository

we even had to use an enema once. he was really impacted from his medicine that he takes for his reflux.

we have used all of these methods.

the fact that is is already crying and straining may mean that its too late for things like prunes and karo, since the poop in there is already hard, so she may be getting impacted. you may need to do something more like the milk of magnesia or a suppository at this point.
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Suppositories were definitely the "magic bullet" Wink for us many times. I had to do it, though. my dh was too squeamish Rolling Eyes
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I hated the suppositories!!! They worked wonders, but my stepdaughter would scream like we were torturing her. I'm so glad she is past that stage. Hopefully we won't have this problem with the new baby. *fingers crossed*
|

replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
my little girl will be 3 months on the 4rth. Not too much difference. But she was constipated last week and I was told to give her dark kayro syrup in every other bottle until she poops. But before she even finished her first bottle she pooped!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
wait
bamagirl and bamamommy arent the same person? odd...
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I was told to get a child suppository and break it in half when brayden is constipated (he is 10 weeks). They work great. But they only told me to wait about 3 days before using them to see if he goes on his own. My doctor never told me any of the other things you girls mentioned. Can you use karo when they are this young?
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
jenniek wrote:
I was told to get a child suppository and break it in half when brayden is constipated (he is 10 weeks). They work great. But they only told me to wait about 3 days before using them to see if he goes on his own. My doctor never told me any of the other things you girls mentioned. Can you use karo when they are this young?

yes, you can. suppositories should be used as a *last* resort, because your body can become dependant on them to go poop. i dont understand why your ped didnt tell you to try other things first.
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....