User Profile
Just a general question to see if anyone knows. If a person is anorexic, with a BMI of 14.9, would they be able to get an abortion. Because as far as I know, the person is also anemic due to vegetarianism. Would she be able to get an abortion? Because I think pregnancy at her stage is dangerous as her body weight is so low, would it be possible for her to get an abortion in the case that she does get pregnant?

What are the complications in her case if she does get an abortion? Will there be more serious complications?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help. It is muchly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Anorexia And Abortion
rosalee wrote:
Just a general question to see if anyone knows. If a person is anorexic, with a BMI of 14.9, would they be able to get an abortion. Because as far as I know, the person is also anemic due to vegetarianism. Would she be able to get an abortion? Because I think pregnancy at her stage is dangerous as her body weight is so low, would it be possible for her to get an abortion in the case that she does get pregnant?

What are the complications in her case if she does get an abortion? Will there be more serious complications?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help. It is muchly appreciated.

Of course, there is no reason why a woman in those circumstances would be refused an abortion; in fact, I think she would be encouraged to have one given her predicament. I'm pretty sure that this would fall under the therapeutic abortions category, practised for the health of both the foetus and the mother.

As for complications, I very much doubt that there would be any (naturally thin females have termination, too), although our resident expert Carifairy could expand on that.
|

replied April 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Anorexia or bulimia is not a reason to deny an abortion.

A BMI of 14.5 is not bad, as long as anorexia is not present, but it is...

Many athletic women with high muscle mass have BMI's of 12-14, but they are not anorexic..

She should be just fine =)
|

replied April 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Carifairy wrote:
Anorexia or bulimia is not a reason to deny an abortion.

A BMI of 14.5 is not bad, as long as anorexia is not present, but it is...

Many athletic women with high muscle mass have BMI's of 12-14, but they are not anorexic..

She should be just fine =)

My bmi is a 17.6 lol. 21 is healthy.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....