Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Anyone Else Here Dieting?

I finally decided I was tired of only being able to fit into half of my pants, and I've begun dieting again. I've been on it for almost a week and I find myself feeling hungry constantly and fighting that hunger urge is a pain right in the backside.

I am not following any of the famed diets, like Atkins or South Beach - sorry, but I think I'd go on a killing rampage if I couldn't have cereal or bread. I'm cutting calories (down to 1000-1100 calories a day), keeping a food journal, and just trying to make some slightly better food choices (been eating bran cereal and fruit a bit more).

I am not exercising because 1) I can't afford a gym membership, and 2) Exercise does not work for me. I get worn out very quickly when I do any sort of physical activity. As an example of how pathetic I am, I get tired doing low-degree aerobics and it takes me more than 15 minutes to run a mile. I believe I may be hypothyroid, which is making it impossible for me to lose weight through any means except starvation. I did starve myself on and off for a couple years and I lost 70 pounds. This was about four or five years ago. Since I graduated almost two years ago from high school, I've gained back 40 of those pounds. I am not so big that I would be a candidate for plastic surgery - I'm about 5' 5" and 170-175 pounds (my weight tends to fluctuate).

I know my current diet won't be yielding any results right now since I've only just started it. Any advice from fellow dieters? How do you suppress your food cravings? At the rate I'm going, cutting my calorie intake in half, I estimate I'll lose at least one pound a week, perhaps two. Still feels like torture going so many hours without food.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2007
Try the Fat Smash Diet
MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY THE 'FAT SMASH DIET". YOU CONSTANTLY EAT ALL DAY LONG, SO THERE GOES THOSE HUNGER PAINS. BUT NO BREAD FOR A FEW WEEKS. IF YOU CAN HANG GIVE IT A TRY. I RECENTLY STARTED, BUT MY FRIEND HAS BEEN ON IT AND LOST A WHOOPING 38 POUNDS IN 2-3MONTHS.
|

replied May 1st, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Gosh, Wikipedia doesn't even have much information on that diet.

By cutting out bread, I assume that means following an Atkins-esque diet of eating no pasta, bread, potatoes, and such?

On the plus side, I tried that weight profile thing on the site you linked me to, and it said the ideal calorie cut I should have is at least 1600 - I'm doing a lot better than that! Smile

If I attempt to do this, it's going to have to be after I polish off my last two bagels - as much as I want to be thin, I just can't let a couple of everything bagels go to waste. So how does this fat smash diet work? Just cutting out bread products (bread, buns, bagels, donuts) is all I do? Or is it a matter of cutting out carbs? Also, does this diet require exercise to be effective?
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2007
the Fat Smash Diet
The diet has 4 phases and with every phase you add more food to your intake.

Phase 1 last for 10 days. I usually do it longer because you loss the majority of your weight on this phase.

All fruits
all veggies
proteins: beans, chick peas, tofu, lentils 1 cup a day
Oatmeal 1 cup
skim milk or soy milk 2 cups
6 oz low fat yogurt 2 times a day
4 egg whites 1 day
brown rice 2 cups a day
plenty of water and unsweenten tea
You can eat as much fruits and veggies you like.
Do not skip a meal, eat even if your not hungry,EAT...

Meal plan should look like ;
8 am breakfast
11 heavy snack
2 pm lunch
5 pm light snack
7 pm dinner
9 pm light snack
or according to your schedule. The key is to eat every 2-3 hours.

Phase 2 add the following
meats 3-4 oz NO FRIED
seafood 3oz
eggs 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg
milk 2 1/2 cups and 1.5 slice of cheese
1 1/2 cup cold cereal, 1/2 cup hot cereal per day
sweeteners 4 tsp sugar
drinks 1 cup of coffee,5 cups club soda,2 cans diet soda etc..

Phase 3 add the following
meats 5 oz
eggs 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs
milk 3 cups low fat, cheese 2 slices
and your favorite bread 4 thin slice whole wheat & pasta 1 cup whole wheat
one dessert per day with choose of any meal

To The New THIN You Very Happy
|

replied May 5th, 2007
A bit of an update. I got on the scale for the first time in two weeks and found out I've lost twelve pounds - from 175 to 163. Yep, even though I've had pizza three or four times in the last two weeks and haven't exercised a pinch, I have dropped twelve pounds by cutting my calories. If I keep losing at this rate, I could easily reach my goal by the end of the quarter (six weeks away).
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2007
congraulations
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Experienced User
I Am Going to Try the Best Life Diet
I am going to try this diet. Oprah does it and there are alot of brand name foods supporting it. Check it out.
|

replied June 1st, 2007
Drink lots of cloudy apple juice. It will help you lose weight faster as it washes down excess fats on your diet.
|

replied June 21st, 2007
This sucks - I got back on the scale and found out I gained back all the weight I lost. I know it's because I sort of slacked on my diet last week - I didn't buy groceries and ate out a lot. Something tells me I'm never going to lose these 40 pounds unless I get gastric bypass, and even then, I'm probably not even a candidate for it because I'm not obese.

Looks like it's time to crash diet again, since there is no other way for me to drop this weight. It's going to suck, but it's either that or just continuing to be overweight.
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2015
I'm dieting as well!

It's been really hard, especially when I had starving diets. However, it's been better since I've adopted a "eat all the time" regime. I eat 5 times a day, avoid fried food, breads and other fatty things. I've seen results in about 2 months. Also, I'm exercising and using X-Slim. I'm currently in my 60% weight loss goal. Hope to finish before April!
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....