Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Nodule on thyroid causing throat tightness?

User Profile
I've been experiencing choking sensation and tightness in a throat for a few months now. Anything around the neck (clothes, chain, even the belt in car),
sometimes bending or tight clothes around the waist cause choking. Laryngoscopy, gastroscopy are OK. Found small nodule on my thyroid. (ENT wants to do the biopsy under the U/S, but he says he doesn't think it is the cause of my symptoms). So far no answers and no help. Started to get depressed. What could cause this condition and is there any help?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2007
General Q&A Answer A2695
A small nodule in the thyroid gland usually don't cause such tightness in the throat as intense as a choking sensation. Maybe your T4 and T3 are normal but you didn’t tell me anything about Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)-level. You should monitor that nodule regularly. Tightness in the throat could be due to anxiety because it seems that you already experience one type of psychosomatic disease-Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.