Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Medical Or Surgical Abortion

Medical or Surgical abortion?
Medical
Surgical
20%  20%  [ 1 ]
80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5
I'm 22 years old and I am 6 weeks pregnant. I went to planned parenthood today and am scheduled May 11th for a surgical abortion because the girl recomended that is what she would do. I researched the medical abortion and thought I would go that way, until today. She said some girls pass clots the size of lemons and some girls even have to come back for a surgcial procedure anyways. I only have enough money to have one procedure done, not both... but regardless to money, what method would you choose and why? Have any of you had medical abortions? surgial abortions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Medical Or Surgical Abortion
JustJen wrote:
I'm 22 years old and I am 6 weeks pregnant. I went to planned parenthood today and am scheduled May 11th for a surgical abortion because the girl recomended that is what she would do. I researched the medical abortion and thought I would go that way, until today. She said some girls pass clots the size of lemons and some girls even have to come back for a surgcial procedure anyways. I only have enough money to have one procedure done, not both... but regardless to money, what method would you choose and why? Have any of you had medical abortions? surgial abortions?

It really is up to you: both procedures are very safe. Medical abortions last much longer and the cramps have been described as similar to those of an early miscarriage or a heavy period. Blood clots can pass through the vagina, too. This method has a success rate of 92% when utilised with mixed regimens within 49 days of the pregnancy. In cases of failure, surgical intervention is required to remove the foetal tissue. The advantage to having a medical (or chemical, as it is also known) termination is that it can be done in the comfort of your own home around your partner or anybody you want near you.

Surgical abortion is quicker (it usually takes around ten minutes), less painful, and has a failure rate of roughly 1-2%, I believe. A possible disadvantage is that it must be performed at the hospital/abortion clinic, as opposed to at home.

The choice is yours. It depends solely on how you feel about the pregnancy and what you ar eprepared to put up with. Carifairy will tell you more; she works in an abortion clinic and also has personal experience with both medical and surgical terminations.

Good luck.

Kypros.
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2007
Experienced User
when i was 18, i got pregnant & opted to have an abortion for a number of reasons, but nonetheless it was a very personal choice. i was 10-wk's, so early enough to have a first trimester abortion. which medically, done in the first trimester, are very safe. they rarely have any complications following. just make sure, you go back for a check-up after, i believe it's 2-wk's. it might be different depending on where you go.

the type of abortion they perform is called a D&C, dilation & curattage abotion. [if you want to research it].

it's the same procedure they perform on pregnant women who have had an internal miscarriage. it's a very common procedure, which usually takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

i had no discomfort afterwards. heavy bleeding for a couple of days, a total of about a week & a half before it ended completely. it was like a longer period.

the abortion itself was in & out for me. it cost me a total of $345 where i went.

not to sway your decision because you have my full support - this is a decision only you can make, but a piece of advice. the abortion didn't bother me, but i did suffer badly from post abortion stress syndrome soon after. it can take a toll on you emotionally. a doctor will talk to you before you abort, just be honest with them. if you are nervous, tell them. scared, tell them. if you want to PM me, i'll answer you.

but seriously, you have my support. i'm not pro-life.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...