Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Urinary Tract Infection

User Profile
Hey everyone, soo, the other night I had to go to the out of hours doctors up at the hospital cos my glands were swollen and I had some pain in my lower back and tummy, anyways the doctor said I have a bad water infection, which explains the back pain and tummy pain and pain while going to wee. Thing is when I asked why my glands were swollen he said this is due to the infection in my body so my glands would swell as they normally do when someone has an infection. He prescribed me a course of anti biotics to take for one week, i've been taking them for two days now and my glands still haven't gone down, my back still hurts and it still hurts to pee. Just wondering how long anti biotics take to work? also can the water infection cause any harm to my baby? or can the anti biotics hurt the baby either and the reason i ask is the baby's has been making some strange movements today that i can actually see my tummy moving. its like s/he's kicking in the rythm of my heartbeat but it aint my heartbeat its the baby???? Embarassed Crying or Very sad Shocked I'm so confused!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Urinary Tract Infection
Lauren_Jay15 wrote:
Hey everyone, soo, the other night I had to go to the out of hours doctors up at the hospital cos my glands were swollen and I had some pain in my lower back and tummy, anyways the doctor said I have a bad water infection, which explains the back pain and tummy pain and pain while going to wee. Thing is when I asked why my glands were swollen he said this is due to the infection in my body so my glands would swell as they normally do when someone has an infection. He prescribed me a course of anti biotics to take for one week, i've been taking them for two days now and my glands still haven't gone down, my back still hurts and it still hurts to pee. Just wondering how long anti biotics take to work? also can the water infection cause any harm to my baby? or can the anti biotics hurt the baby either and the reason i ask is the baby's has been making some strange movements today that i can actually see my tummy moving. its like s/he's kicking in the rythm of my heartbeat but it aint my heartbeat its the baby???? Embarassed Crying or Very sad Shocked I'm so confused!

Sounds like the baby has hiccups. Antibiotics won't hurt the baby. Nor will a Urinary Tract Infection. If you are still having problems maybe you could go back to the doctor and get something that helps with the pain. It is harmless to the baby also.

Good luck. UTI's suck!
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2007
Experienced User
hiccups?!? Shocked can babies have hiccups in the womb?! Shocked Ok well thanks, I feel much better now. I worry way too much, which is also worrying. lol Very Happy
|

replied April 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Lauren_Jay15 wrote:
hiccups?!? Shocked can babies have hiccups in the womb?! Shocked Ok well thanks, I feel much better now. I worry way too much, which is also worrying. lol Very Happy

Yes, when they move in that rhythmic, kind of jumpy movement it is most likely hiccups. How many weeks are you?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
a lot of babies have hiccups in the womb

as for the pain, itll last until the infection is gone, which will most likely take longer then 2 days, be patiant, when ive had utis it ususaly takes me at least 4 days to feel better, as for the glands its the same thing, they are working to make antibiotics so they are bigger, they wont go down until they are done making the antibiotics

the only thing i know that can happen with a uti is that it can cause you to go into premature labor, but seeing as you got it diagnosed and are taking care of it, i doubt that will happen, that only can happen when its really bad and goes untreated for a while

~alicia~
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2007
Experienced User
hey, thanks ladies. i'm 20 weeks pregnant on monday. i have my scan next thursday. everything seems ok today, although i havent felt much movement but definate kicks but s/he was very active yesterday. the uti still hurts but there is an improvement. oh and the doc said it looks like i may have actually had this uti for about 6 weeks! Shocked i really hope my little one's ok. Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
im glad its starting to feel better

6 weeks damn! that must be hell

im sure your baby is ok, did the doc check your cervix?

~alicia~
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2007
Experienced User
no, should he have? Shocked I see the midwife straight after me scan on thursday so I'll mention it then, I'll probably have to do the whole peeing a tiny pot thing so she can test it to see if the UTI is actually getting better, if it ain't, I'll suggest if she needs to check my cervix. Thing is, is it normal to be so scared of having my legs open on a black bed with tissue on it that i slip all over the place on, im so shy of these things. God knows how I'm going to give birth.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i dont know, they did for me, and for my "friend" (who i had to take to the hospital the other day cause she was too whiny to go herself lol)

i would suggest it on thursday, especially if your worried (and if i had anythign to do with that, im very sorry, i didnt mean to scare you)

it never hurts to ask a question and the worse they can say is no right?

good luck on thursday are you gonna find out the sex?

~alicia~
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2007
Supporter
Lauren_Jay15 wrote:
no, should he have? Shocked I see the midwife straight after me scan on thursday so I'll mention it then, I'll probably have to do the whole peeing a tiny pot thing so she can test it to see if the UTI is actually getting better, if it ain't, I'll suggest if she needs to check my cervix. Thing is, is it normal to be so scared of having my legs open on a black bed with tissue on it that i slip all over the place on, im so shy of these things. God knows how I'm going to give birth.

you're not the only one hun don't worry. I had to have an internal examination by my midwife at my first appointmet because cervical cancer runs in my family and oh boy was that humiliating! As for giving birth, you will be able to do it! You'll be way too wrapped up in contractions, trying to get comfy having checks etc that you won't care how many people see down below!
|

replied May 1st, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
I was in the hospital the other night suffering with a bladder infection. I didn't know how annoying those things could be. I've never had one before and it came on so quickly. Now I'm on antibiotics and it's going away quickly but my mom called and said "are you sure it's safe for the baby? I took antibiotics when I was pregnant with you and your baby teeth were yellow." So of course I got all freaked out. But I think she must have taken tetracyclen and they know now not to prescribe that. I'm taking cephalexin and that it supposed to be safe. Safer than getting a kidney infection I guess.
|
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....